Positions Reports to: Manager, Elementary Program
Program Start Date: Immediate
Hours: 2:15 - 5:30 pm, plus some out-of-school time planning responsibilities
Compensation: $44.29 per hour
Who We Are
East Harlem Tutorial Program (EHTP) began in 1958 as a children's reading group and has since grown into a multi-site after-school program for traditional public school students and a network of public charter schools focused on significantly increasing the college graduation rate in East Harlem. We are on track to serve at least 25% of East Harlem students by 2025, with enrollment for this year at approximately 2200 students in our schools and after school programs. In 2020, 99% of our seniors were accepted to college, and our current scholars in college are on-track to graduate at eight times the national average of their peers.
At EHTP we also aim to serve as an agent of change and thoughtfully contribute to the national fight for racial equity. Through our organization-wide commitment to anti-racism work, we prepare our scholars to effect change, challenge the status quo, and thrive in the world around them. As staff members, we face our own racial identities and conscious and unconscious biases. With this in mind, all of our professional development, curriculum, organizational materials, and processes are designed with a goal of racial justice. Read our racial equity statement here.
We ground all of our work in racial equity, in our core values, and in our four guiding pursuits: the Revolutionary Pursuit of Love, the Radical Pursuit of Knowledge, the Responsive Pursuit of Healing, and in the Relentless Pursuit of Results. These pursuits inform and are reflected in our current four key strategic priorities: to increase high-impact, high-quality academic curriculum, programming content, staff capacity, and coaching; to embrace and advance our use of technology; to deepen our embodiment of ethical and equitable radical humanity; and to efficiently operationalize teaching, learning, community, and care.
For more information about East Harlem Tutorial Program, please visit us at www.ehtp.org.
About the Opportunity
We believe that great teachers make the difference for our scholars. EHTP seeks a dedicated and enthusiastic Lead Teacher to plan and implement summer educational enrichment activities for students in grades K-5 enrolled in our 2021-2022 after-school program. Each of our classrooms is staffed with volunteers and interns to best meet the academic and social-emotional needs of each of our students. As a Lead Teacher, you facilitate instructional activities, partner with the volunteers/interns to support individual behavior needs, and engage with parents and families during student drop-off and pick-up. You will also help promote a safe, respectful, and inclusive environment for students, staff, and visitors at all times.
Ultimately, as a Lead Teacher, you play a critical role in ensuring our scholars grow academically and have a positive learning experience. The schedule for this position is:
- September 13, 2021 - June 16, 2022
- Monday - Thursday, 2:15 - 5:30 pm pm at Mosaic Preparatory Academy
What Qualifies You
- You believe deeply in EHTP’s mission, core values, and racial equity statement
- You have at least 2 year of experience working with Elementary students in a school or afterschool setting
- You have experience developing and implementing project-based curriculum
- You have a bachelor’s degree in education or related field
- You enjoy working with students, have an interest in teaching, and want to gain valuable classroom experience
- You manage behavior by keeping individual student strengths in mind
- You are open to giving and receiving constructive feedback and are consistently looking for professional growth opportunities
- You value teamwork and are able to work collaboratively with other instructional and support staff members in an effort to best serve your students
- Due to the nature of our diverse student population, Spanish speakers and other bilingual candidates are highly encouraged to apply
Areas of Leadership
- Embody and effectively model EHTP’s core values for students, including consistent and timely attendance
- Uphold classroom expectations and routines set by Program Manager in order to maintain a purposeful, supportive, fun, and safe environment for learning
- Actively build a safe and welcoming classroom community
For the safety of our students and staff, East Harlem Tutorial Program requires all staff members to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. We do allow for medical and religious exemptions that adhere to our policy and CDC guidelines. If you have any questions and would like further information, please reach out to HR@ehtp.org.
Thank you for taking the time to submit an application to the East Harlem Tutorial Program.