Position Report to: Managing Director, Development & External Affairs
Start Date: Immediate
Compensation: Compensation for this position is competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition, East Harlem Scholars Academies offer a comprehensive benefits package.
Who We Are
East Harlem Tutorial Program (EHTP) began in 1958 as a children's reading group and has since grown into a multi-site after-school program for public school students and a network of charter schools focused on significantly increasing the college graduation rate in East Harlem. Between its after-school programs and charter schools, more than 15,000 East Harlem youth and their families have walked through its doors – and, by participating in EHTP's year-long, free programs, they have improved their academic skills, developed confidence, and found community.
For more information about EHTP's mission, model, and programs, please visit us at www.ehtp.org.
What Sets Us Apart
EHTP aims to serve as an agent of change and thoughtfully contribute to the national fight for racial equity. Through our organization-wide commitment to anti-racism work, we prepare our scholars to effect change, challenge the status quo, and thrive in the world around them. Furthermore, as staff members, we face our own racial identities and conscious and unconscious biases. With this in mind, all of our professional development, curriculum, organizational materials, and processes are designed with a goal of racial justice. To read EHTP’s racial equity statement, please click here.
The Work and Why it Matters
EHTP seeks a Director of Development to lead the direction of the organization’s comprehensive development efforts during a period of rapid growth. Working closely with the Managing Director of Development and External Affairs and the Executive Director, the Director of Development will play a critical role in both developing and executing the strategic plan for EHTP’s fundraising, with the goal of increasing the size and number of gifts in EHTP’s portfolio. This is an ideal opportunity for an innovative and dynamic fundraiser with strong operational skills and a deep commitment to EHTP’s mission.
Who You Are
- You have a minimum 5 years of work experience including full time, high level experience within a development department, and a recommended minimum of 3 years of management experience
- You have a proven track record in planning and achieving short- and long-term goals and creating a plan outlining activity
- You have strong relationship-building skills and a proven record of fostering authentic relationships with a variety of stakeholders
- You have a high level of comfort and expertise with donor reports and data analysis
- You possess integrity and fiscal accountability
- You have the ability to motivate and work effectively and diplomatically across diverse teams within an organization
- You are a strategic thinker, capable of providing positive and proactive solutions to challenges and opportunities
- You have a sense of humor and a desire to work on a team of hardworking and fun individuals who do whatever it takes to get the job done
- You have experience supervising or overseeing fundraising events
- You believe deeply in EHTP’s mission, core values, and racial equity statement
What Success Looks Like
Management and Operations
- Provide day-to-day operational oversight of the development team, including meeting management; high-level database and systems administration; and weekly and monthly reporting against goals
- Manage and coach a small but growing team, including the Associate, Development & External Affairs and the Manager, Institutional Giving; set ambitious team-wide fundraising goals and define the pathways to achieve them
- Create and implement team-wide strategies, processes, and tools to streamline fundraising activity and standardize practices
- Manage and support the Associate, Development & External Affairs to ensure 100% accuracy and integrity of all giving data
- Ensure proper stewardship practices for the timely and accurate recording and acknowledgment of all gifts
Data & Analysis
- Design and implement systems that track donor and prospective donor engagement, and ensure accurate and timely reporting internally and externally
- Provide and present statistical analysis of fundraising successes, challenges, and opportunities to the Managing Director of Development & External Affairs, Executive Director, and Board at regular intervals
- Develop metrics that measure impact and effectiveness by overseeing the execution of strategies, tracking progress toward goals, and working directly with senior leaders to ensure alignment and prioritization
- Support Deputy Director, Development & Special Events and other team members to implement events to involve new prospects and engage existing donors
- Collaborate with EHTP’s Program Directors and across the development team to create materials and reports that keep funders engaged in events, programs and projects
- Work with EHTP staff across the organization to share information and develop cultivation strategies for volunteers, new contacts, and other constituencies
- Serve as thought partner to the Managing Director of Development & External Affairs regarding the organization’s overall development strategy and branding, with key information disseminated to all stakeholders
Thank you in advance for taking the time to apply to East Harlem Tutorial Program.