Positions Report to: Instructional Leadership Team
Start/End Date: 2019-2020 School Year
Hours: 7:40 am – 4:15 pm + some out of school time responsibilities
Compensation: Commensurate with years of experience. In addition, East Harlem Scholars Academies offer a comprehensive benefits package.
Who We Are
Scholars Academies is a branch of the East Harlem Tutorial Program. East Harlem Tutorial Program began in 1958 as a children's reading group and has since grown into a multi-site after-school program for public school students and a charter school operator focused on significantly increasing the college graduation rate in East Harlem. Between its after-school programs and charter schools, more than 15,000 East Harlem youth and their families have walked through its doors – and, by participating in EHTP's year-long, free programs, they have improved their academic skills, developed confidence, and found community.
For more information about EHTP's mission, model, and programs, please visit us at www.ehtp.org.
What Sets Us Apart
EHTP aims to serve as an agent of change and thoughtfully contribute to the national fight for racial equity. Through our organization-wide commitment to anti-racism work, we prepare our scholars to effect change, challenge the status quo, and thrive in the world around them. Furthermore, as staff members we face our own racial identities and conscious and unconscious biases. With this in mind, all of our professional development, curriculum, organizational materials and processes are designed with a goal of racial justice. To read EHTP’s Racial Equity Statement, please click here.
The Work and Why it Matters
As a teacher with Scholars Academies you will be student facing the majority of the day. You will work closely with your grade team and the instructional leadership team to internalize, and in some cases develop, curriculum; provide high-quality instruction; track and measure student progress; create a positive classroom and school culture, and to engage in reflection and continuous improvement. As a team we will work together to prepare students with the skills, strength of character, and emotional well-being to excel academically, lead in their communities, and realize their best possible selves.
Who You Are
- You hold yourself to high professional and ethical standards
- You enjoy and/or have experience working with diverse populations of students and communities
- You believe that every student can and will learn when provided with a quality education
- You have demonstrated success in raising the achievement levels of traditionally at-risk students
- You are willing to be flexible in your role and adapt to school and student needs
- You are committed to continuous improvement and learning through professional development
- You have a minimum of two-year’s experience in relevant educational positions
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree, or higher, and appropriate NYS certifications
What Success Looks Like
- Embodiment and effective modeling of our core values for students to exhibit and practice them
- Sets ambitious goals based on backwards planning, demonstrating locus of control, and aligned with an overall vision for student success, content to be learned, personal knowledge of students, and overall instructional context
- Demonstrates deep knowledge of content and effective pedagogy, evidenced by clear and objective-driven instruction.and meaningful student engagement through active learning practices
- Staff member sets clear expectations and institutes routines so as to establish and maintains a purposeful, supportive, and fun environment for learning, in which students feel safe, valued, and respected by adults and their peers
- Builds a classroom community where restorative practices are actively modeled and used to navigate student and community challenges
- Demonstrates a Team First mindset, through proactive contributions to the community, and advances his/her practice through reflection, development opportunities, participation in the professional community, and actively engaging families and community members
Thank you in advance for taking the time to apply to East Harlem Tutorial Program.