Reports to: CEO
We’re Dynamo. And we pride ourselves on doing mortgages differently.
Mortgages are the single largest consumer lending category but the industry is by far the most antiquated, presenting a huge opportunity. Mortgages are a complex product, the industry is highly regulated and incumbents have been slow to change - all this has meant little innovation for years, until now.
Customers now demand the same experience from mortgages they benefit from in cards, loans and insurance and the technology is available today to deliver it to them - we are harnessing this to bring mortgage power to the UK’s 11 million mortgage borrowers.
Dynamo is a Fintech business backed by Blenheim Chalcot, the UK's leading venture builder, and Countrywide, the UK's largest mortgage broker. We are transforming the mortgage industry through technology and reshaping it around our customers. We enable customers to get the perfect mortgage for them online in a process that is easy, transparent and free using world class UX/UI, machine learning and a powerful, custom-built mortgage application platform.
We’re searching for a brilliant CTO to join our executive team, with the experience and motivation to lead our fast-growing engineering function, and take responsibility for the development of a brand new financial service.
To be successful, you will demonstrate the following:
- Motivation: You should enjoy the challenge of delivering a best-in-class end user experience for both customers and internal users. You should be comfortable switching your context from engineering challenges, like development practices, scalability and DevOps, to product and service design.
- Technical leadership: You will have a strong background in engineering, leading agile development teams and scaling cloud architectures, possible with experience in high compliance industries like finance. You may also have experience working with CRMs (like Salesforce or Microsoft Dynamics) and modern VoIP telephone systems.
- Team leadership: You should have experience building high performance teams and leading highly technical staff in a startup environment. You will be able to hire, mentor and develop staff and create a supportive, diverse and highly motivated culture.
- Security and compliance - working in the finance industry requires a higher level of compliance than in other industries. You may be familiar with Cyber Essentials and ISO27001 as well as other useful frameworks (FCA compliance, ITIL etc).
You will lead a brilliant team through a period of high growth. You will coach both inside the technical team and throughout the wider organisation. You’ll develop and communicate a vision for the future which uses emerging technologies, such as machine learning and predictive analytics, to drive the best experience for our customers.
- Deliver the UK’s leading platform for finding and applying for mortgages
- Maintain the highest levels of compliance and security to protect our customers
- Communicate the company’s technology status and ambitions to investors, management, staff, partners, customers, and stakeholders
- Maintain and extend the technology strategic roadmap to support and influence our business goals
- Meet our scaling and performance goals, exceeding 99.99% platform availability
- Leverage our investment in our CI/CD pipeline to maintain a high performance development lifecycle, driven by a philosophy of TDD and continuous delivery to our customers
- Liaise with key external stakeholders and partners
- Represent Dynamo in the tech community.
You will ideally have a background that demonstrates your ability to build products for new markets, with fast growing teams. You’ll be able to switch from talking about CRM to DevOps without missing a beat.
Additionally, you may have some or all of the following:
- Experience in a highly regulated industry, preferably financial services
- An outcome-focused mindset, with a talent for prioritisation and delivery
- Experience with objective (OKR) setting and performance management in technical teams
- Experience developing forecasts and budgets
- Naturally curious and collaborative
- Keen attention to detail
- Well developed presentation and communication skills up to executive and stakeholder level
- An understanding of lean and agile principles
Location: Our team is based in London, but we plan to build out the team around the right person so will consider candidates in other locations.
Remuneration: Competitive salary, bonus and equity.
New colleagues at Dynamo will find themselves working with an impressive range of experts in a highly collaborative set-up that facilitates brilliant learning opportunities. New businesses are challenging - things move incredibly quickly, there is constant change to ensure we are agile around customer needs and market conditions, roles involve significant responsibility and there's nowhere to hide.
Outside of Dynamo, colleagues have access to countless development opportunities from Blenheim Chalcot and Countrywide including leadership development programmes and mentoring initiatives. They will also be exposed to both communities and have full access to a wide range of stretching career opportunities.
The Dynamo culture is a very mission-focused one. We are all passionate about the difference we want to make for mortgage buyers and that is what drives us. The characteristics you'll find in our team that underpin our success are tenacity, agility, customer focus, reliability, pride, credibility and strong accountability for our own work. If that sounds like you, you'll fit right in!
We're located in One Hammersmith Broadway, a modern, five-storey building which hosts innovation-focused, high-growth companies backed by Blenheim Chalcot.
We will offer: private healthcare, pension scheme, 25 days holiday (plus bank holidays), an onsite subsidised cafe, great social events and generous training opportunities.