Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
We are looking for a world-class specialist in teaching English as an additional language who has creative instincts, strong organizational skills, and experience developing content. If you are creative, love developing pedagogical content in a variety of formats, and can follow efficient processes for large-scale content creation, this job is for you!
- Work side by side with talented content developers, curriculum designers, project managers, and engineers to deliver high-quality content for teaching English as an additional language
- Own the process of reviewing, editing, and proofreading English learning materials across a variety of products and features, from reading comprehension exercises to dialogues to explanations of grammar and pronunciation
- Develop educational content that is fun, accessible, and targets English learners at specific proficiency levels
- Help develop and implement efficient processes for scaling the creation of educational content
- Provide English-related pedagogical support to multiple teams
- Train and supervise other course content creators
- Teaching experience. You have at least 2 years of experience teaching English as an additional language, and you understand the difficulties of English learners with different language backgrounds.
- Pedagogical expertise. You can guide and recognize content that’s appropriate in difficulty for English language learners at different proficiency levels, and you know how to communicate difficult language concepts (such as grammar or pronunciation) in a simple and accessible way.
- Creative writing skills. You have excellent creative instincts and the ability to write within pedagogical constraints to develop content that is engaging to a wide range of learners.
- Language expertise. You have full professional proficiency in American English and at least intermediate proficiency in one other language.
- Excellent collaboration skills. You have outstanding interpersonal and communication skills. You give and receive feedback well, and you build and maintain strong professional relationships with colleagues.
- Operational focus. You are organized and efficient, and strive to continuously improve your workflow and processes.
- MA (or equivalent experience) in TESOL, English, linguistics, applied linguistics, creative writing, or a related field
- Experience developing pedagogical content or curriculum
- Intermediate proficiency in at least one other language
- Ability to work full-time from or relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Multilingual language background
- Creative writing experience
- Experience managing people and projects
NOTE: PDF Resume Format Preferred
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
Because Duolingo requires all employees to return to work from an office, all employees will need to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to remain employed unless they have an exemption to vaccination pursuant to a required reasonable accommodation. This is so that our employees feel safe in the office.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.