Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
You’ll help expand the Duolingo world outside of the product with delightful and engaging IRL experiences, environments, and artifacts to build excitement for both Duolingo learners and employees alike. From designing Duocon — our annual language conference — to crafting vinyl toys, to evolving our offices, you’ll collaborate with our Marketing, Workplace, Facilities teams, and more to work on brand projects that push our mission forward, help us become an iconic brand, and transform the future of education.
This role reports to the Senior Experience Designer as a member of the Design team. At Duolingo, we take pride in and agonize over crafting high-quality design, with a user-friendly (and fun) experience for everyone.
- Work on a wide variety of mediums (physical, digital, and everything in between) and experiences (environmental design, installations, swag/merch design, and more) aimed at communicating Duolingo’s value and mission
- Collaborate on brand and design projects with internal partners (designers, artists, producers, marketers, and other cross-functional folks) as well as external (vendors, architects, general contractors)
- Expand our brand by creating visual identity and design systems for Duolingo events and environments
- Lead small/medium experience design projects, while taking direction from our Head of Art and Senior Experience Designer
- Champion Duolingo’s brand standards and design systems across the business
- An online portfolio with relevant work samples
- Experience in a consumer application, agency, or freelance roles
- Exceptional design sense with the ability to integrate branding and messaging into 2D and 3D build environments
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite and 3D modeling (Sketchup and Rhino are preferred, but you can use whatever you’re most comfortable with)
- Excellent communication skills in creative pitching, feedback solicitation, and vendor/partner management
- Strong experience in spatial problem solving
- Proficiency in drawing to scale and familiarity with architectural construction documents, elevations, plans, shop drawings, etc.
- Knowledge of materials, finishes, and construction methods
- Experience working with fabrication vendors: submitting clear drawings, responding and iterating on production updates, and being a collaborative problem solver when problems arise
- A natural interest in collaborating with other creatives such as brand designers, illustrators, animators, and product designers
- The ability to juggle multiple projects in parallel from concept to completion
- The ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- 3+ years of experience working at a high-paced tech start-up
- Experience with brand design
- Experience in fabricating furniture, set pieces, or consumer products.
Duolingo is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based upon race, religion, color, national origin, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, age, status as a protected veteran, status as an individual with a disability, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' well-being with our benefits here.
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and have received any booster doses as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention