Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
The Duolingo English Test is a high-stakes test — Duolingo style: convenient, fast, and affordable. Students interested in studying abroad can certify their English with the Duolingo English Test in place of other standardized tests like the TOEFL and IELTS. Using AI and remote proctoring, students can take the test online, on demand, anywhere in the world. If you love making a difference in education through technology, this is the place for you. From composing individual screens into flows to partnering closely with our Art team on illustrations, you’ll have the autonomy to work on high-impact features that are redefining the future of education.
This role reports to a design manager as a member of Design, the instrumental creative partner in most projects at Duolingo—from our mobile apps and website to the brand voice and email newsletters, and even community events. At Duolingo, we take pride in and agonize over crafting a user-friendly (and fun) experience for everyone.
Will you join us on our mission?
- Design a user experience that empowers and educates Duolingo English Test takers and other audiences across multiple platforms
- Design marketing materials that support the Duolingo English Test
- Work collaboratively with other designers to develop and expand product design patterns
- Help engineers and product managers define both the long-term strategy and the short-term tactics for our products
- Sometimes work on very broadly defined, loose concepts, and sometimes on narrowly defined, tactical features
- Consider all parts when crafting the experience—from copy to animation to business impact
- An online portfolio with samples of web design or dashboard design
- Design experience in a consumer application, product, or software role
- A desire to strive for excellence in your work until all details are attended to
- The ability to explain your work, process, and decisions and seek feedback to help you produce your best work
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Outstanding candidates will have...
- Proven experience working at a high-paced tech start-up
- Working knowledge of front-end web development and relevant technologies
- Experience with illustration or animation (or both)
- Experience participating in or leading user research sessions
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and have received any booster doses as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention