Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
As an engineering manager on the Cloud Operations team you will have direct impact on the work of our entire engineering organization, and will help ensure our platform is always available for our learners.
The Cloud Operations team is responsible for our AWS infrastructure and observability tools, and they focus primarily on making sure our engineering teams have all the tools and support they need to build features our learners love.
You will work with the engineering team to ensure we have a long term technical vision in place, support the team in developing and delivering on their objectives, and will nurture a customer-centric culture that is inclusive both internally and externally.
- Develop our engineering, helping them grow in their and help them define strategic goals, plan tasks and review code.
- Be responsible for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects.
- Work with other engineers and leaders across the company to identify needs and ensure our tools are having the expected impact.
- Design and implement tools that help engineering teams focus on shipping features, while making sure we're we build infrastructure that is cost efficient, secure and reliable.
- Partner with external providers like AWS to make sure we work well together and make the best use of their platform.
- Demonstrated expertise in problem solving and technical innovation.
- Technical experience in distributed systems, including: databases, caching, inter-service communication, networking, and cloud services.
- People management skills, proven track record of mentoring and coaching team members.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Relevant work experience, including industry experience.
- Technical management experience, leading teams consisting of five or more.
- Experience with one or more configuration management (Ansible, Puppet, Chef) or infrastructure management tools (Terraform, CloudFormation)
- Familiarity with containerization runtimes (Docker, rkt)
- Experience deploying and maintaining monitoring and logging systems (Zabbix, Nagios, ELK, Splunk)
- Ability to travel to Duolingo's Pittsburgh, PA headquarters every quarter
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Extensive experience in fast-growing, consumer-facing, data-driven startups, ideally mobile app based.
- A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or related technical field
- Experience managing a large infrastructure on AWS or Google Cloud
- Extensive experience with relational and no-SQL database management
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and have received any booster doses as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.