Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
This role reports to the Senior Design Manager as a member of the Design team, partners closely with our Head of Art, and collaborates with our Product, Marketing, and Content teams. At Duolingo, we take pride in our craft and agonize over high-quality design with a user-friendly (and fun) experience for everyone.
- Concept and compose engaging character and scene illustrations
- Work in a highly collaborative fashion with the Design, Product, and Engineering teams, flexing and adapting based on the project and team you’re working with
- Create new and memorable characters and enhance existing ones
- Consider the user experience surrounding the artwork you create
- Create artwork for social media and marketing campaigns
- Build effective relationships with and inspire complete confidence in partners, earning trust to drive creativity and vision
- Persuasively present and defend work
- Plan and execute projects independently, in partnership with Design Program Manager
- Identify new and innovative ways illustration can influence our products and brand
- Develop an understanding of how your work impacts the goals and objectives of the teams you partner with
- An online portfolio with illustration samples
- Skill and proficiency illustrating with Sketch or Figma
- Illustration experience in a tech, agency, or editorial role
- Experience illustrating for animation
- The ability to juggle multiple projects in parallel from concept to completion
- Excellent communication skills, with an ability to effectively talk about illustration with non-illustrators
- A desire to inspire and mentor your peers
- The ability to juggle multiple projects in parallel from concept to implementation
- Ability to travel to Duolingo's Pittsburgh, PA headquarters every quarter
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- 5+ years of experience working at a high-paced tech start-up
- Experience with product design or animation (or both)
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and have received any booster doses as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.