Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
Help improve how millions of people learn languages on Duolingo.
We are looking for a world-class expert in teaching English or other languages, and who has experience working across different educational settings and with learners from a variety of language backgrounds. Our ideal candidate has strong organizational skills, can build effective and engaging course content, and understands the unique challenges of digital education. You will join our team of course designers and help support our efforts to deliver the best language education in the world through evidence-based practices. Join Duolingo to feel empowered as an educator, impacting millions of learners.
- Design the curriculum and internal pedagogical resources for Duolingo language courses
- Create content for various features spanning implicit and explicit teaching of a particular language, as well as assessments of learners’ language knowledge
- Provide pedagogical support on your language(s) of expertise to multiple teams
- Help develop and implement efficient processes for scaling the creation of educational content
- Help recruit, train, and supervise course content creators
- Help communicate the science behind Duolingo’s teaching methodology to a wider audience
- Teaching experience. You have at least 2 years of experience teaching one or more languages.
- Pedagogical expertise. You are familiar with external standards for teaching languages (e.g. CEFR, ACTFL), and can design course curricula that effectively scaffold the learning experience for learners with a particular language background.
- Analytical thinking. You can think about language in an analytical way. For example, you excel at breaking down grammatical concepts into smaller parts for the purposes of teaching and assessment.
- Language expertise. You have full professional proficiency in at least one language(s) that you teach. If you teach English, you have full professional proficiency in American English and basic proficiency in at least one other language. You also have a strong familiarity with cultural specifics of the areas where your language(s) are spoken.
- Strong communication. You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Operational focus. You are organized and efficient, and strive to continuously improve your workflow and processes.
- MA (or equivalent experience) in TESOL, Spanish or another language, second language acquisition, applied linguistics, linguistics, or a related field
- Ability to work full-time from or relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- More than two years of experience teaching language, particularly to diverse groups of people and/or in a variety of countries
- Multilingual language background
- Experience managing people and projects
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19 and have received any booster doses as recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.