Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
We want to ensure our learners have a smooth experience while learning through our app. Join us to help scale testing at Duolingo to enhance app quality for our learners worldwide!
About the team: We’re a mighty team of individuals collaborating with Engineers and Quality Assurance Specialists to help catch regressions at the early stages of the software development process. We build tools (Bird’s Eye) to help Design and Product visualize the changes in several languages. We also develop and maintain the infrastructure to scale tests to improve engineering productivity.
About the role: As a software engineer, you will work on a specific project critical to Duolingo’s needs, with opportunities to switch projects as we grow and evolve. We need our engineers to be versatile, display leadership skills and be enthusiastic about tackling new problems across the full stack as we continue to innovate.
- Partner closely with engineers to improve our current testing processes and tools to support our platforms (Android, iOS, and Web).
- Develop, release, and maintain backend services and infrastructure.
- Define, own key test metrics, and advocate the best testing practices.
- Strong competencies in data structures, algorithms, and software design.
- Strong understanding of testing methodologies, knowledge of public cloud infrastructure (AWS, Google Cloud) and CI/CD pipelines (Jenkins, Travis, GitLab).
- Organizational skills to design, plan, prioritize, drive, and successfully launch technical projects.
- Mentorship skills to bring along junior engineers.
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- B.A./B.S. in Computer Science or a related field.
- Programming experience in Python; technical expertise in distributed systems, including microservices, databases, caching, and cloud services.
- Familiarity with test harnesses, measuring test effectiveness, effectively finding gaps in product code, and briefly presenting it to the community for further improvements.
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.