Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
As an engineering manager in the Platform Area, you will lead one of our teams in supporting the engineering needs of the rest of Duolingo. Below are more details on two possible teams with a management opening.
The Architecture team is responsible for our overall microservice infrastructure design and works with teams across the company to implement new services that are efficient and scalable. This team also crafts and shares tools, libraries, and guidelines to help other teams create and maintain services. You will coordinate these efforts: determining which projects the team should work on, collaborating with other engineering teams, creating technical specifications and roadmaps, and tracking progress.
The Marketing Tech team focuses on data engineering projects to support the company's marketing efforts. This team builds data pipelines, data warehouses, and tools by collaborating closely with our Marketing team to understand their needs. As a relatively new team, you will have the opportunity to refine the mission, projects, and goals of the team to find the best ways to utilize data in our Marketing efforts.
- Lead teams of software engineers, including strategic goals, task planning and code reviews.
- Plan, write and review service specifications to determine how Duolingo’s infrastructure is architected.
- Be responsible for the overall planning, execution and success of complex technical projects.
- Create data tools for analytics and data scientist team members which assist them in building and optimizing our product into an innovative industry leader.
- Design and implement tools and pipelines that allow us to measure and learn from marketing campaigns in a data-driven way.
- Demonstrated expertise in problem solving and technical innovation.
- Technical experience in distributed systems, including: databases, caching, inter-service communication, networking, and cloud services.
- People management skills, proven track record of mentoring and coaching team members.
- Excellent communication skills.
- B.A./B.S. in Computer Science or a related field.
- Relevant work experience, including industry experience.
- Technical management experience managing teams consisting of five or more.
- Ability to travel to Duolingo's Pittsburgh, PA headquarters every quarter
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Extensive experience in fast-growing, consumer-facing, data-driven startups, ideally mobile app based.
- Be well-versed in the mobile marketing ecosystem and have built marketing technology infrastructure from the ground up.
We will do everything we can within reason to make sure that your interview takes place in an environment that fairly and accurately assesses your skills. If you need assistance or accommodation, please contact your recruiter.
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.