Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
We are building Duolingo’s FP&A team and capabilities as we continue to grow operations rapidly and operate as a newly public company. We are looking for finance professionals who are hungry to help set up and evolve the foundational elements of the FP&A team. In this role you’ll hold the pen on the consolidated three statement model, partner with executives to forecast expenses, develop and present business reviews, participate in the annual budgeting process, and implement forecasting software. The successful candidate for this position lives and breathes excel modeling, has previously built partnerships with operational executives, and can present complex financial analyses in an executive format. Ideally, this person also has recent experience in FP&A functions at a high-growth company. This role will report to the senior FP&A leader and interact heavily with the Head of FP&A / Strategic Finance, CFO, and other executives and will play an instrumental role in building the financial future of the company.
- Refine and own the company’s three statement model in a dynamic way for monthly updates and scenario building
- Analyze actual performance vs. forecast and develop insightful business reviews in partnership with relevant business partners
- Forecast and monitor R&D, S&M, and G&A spend across all divisions and present insights to business partners and executives
- Play an instrumental role in the annual budgeting process
- Act as a finance contact for business partners across the organization and involve them appropriately to build a team environment and mutual accountability
- Contribute to materials for the board of directors, earnings calls materials, and other stakeholder communication
- Create and maintain standardized reporting of forecasted financial statements with a focus on improvements in accuracy and efficiency
- Refine financial planning and reporting architecture, ensuring cross-platform data integrity
- Work on function-led process improvement activities and ad hoc business analysis (e.g. benefits planning) as necessary
- The ability to deal effectively with ambiguity and thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving environment
- Structured thinking with a strong command of “the details,” that can be summarized into a compelling story to present relevant insights and conclusions
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets. You take pride in your analytical and financial modeling skills and enjoy applying them to tackle highly complex business problems
- Ability to create visually attractive, concise, presentations for high-profile audiences in PowerPoint and / or Google Slides. Experience with Mekko Graphics is a plus.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- 2+ years relevant work experience in top tier investment banking or FP&A team at a high growth firm or or related industries
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA or travel to Duolingo's Pittsburgh, PA headquarters once a month
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Experience with subscription and / or digital goods business models at companies with millions of users
- Experience at a high growth company that has undertaken an IPO or a public technology company
- An impressive Duolingo XP or streak!
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.