Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
As the Senior Data Analyst on the finance team you will help drive the evolution of Duolingo’s financial insights from the vast amounts of data the company collects. Our finance team was formed just over a year ago. We are now looking to bolster our capabilities to aggregate, analyze, and present insights on our learners and subscribers. In this role you will work with the current data analyst and collaborate cross functionally with the product data science, analytics engineering and monetization engineering teams. The ideal candidate has previous experience in setting up foundational datasets and dashboards that drive core insights and reporting about our financial performance at a public company, synthesizing sophisticated data sets in easy to digest insights from a financial perspective, and LTV predictive modeling. This role reports to the Head of FP&A / Strategic Finance and you will interact heavily with the CFO and other Duolingo executive partners to our team.
- Collect and analyze Key Performance Indicators datasets in order to derive insights we act upon on a recurring basis
- Build intuitive and readable dashboards using visualization tools (e.g., Looker, Tableau, Plotly, Data Studio, Metabase)
- Suggest and implement improvements to cohort based subscriber models to increase forecast predictability
- Continuously identify new innovative data driven solutions to help improve our finance workstreams
- Ensure the quality of our tracking and data
- Bridge analytics/data science and finance, speaking both languages
- An independent, self-motivated individual who works well in a fast pacing environment with a positive attitude
- Self-starter with a great work ethic and an analytical minded with superior problem solving and decision-making skills, possessing the initiative to create presentations and analysis from scratch to answer questions posed and look into the details and interpret the impact of key business drivers
- Extremely detail-oriented and organized with prior experience having gathered, structured, monitored, and validated data to ensure data integrity and detailed documentation; has developed a habit of checking the accuracy of data and analysis several times over before submitting for review
- Significant expertise and love of auditable financial modeling and setting up automated processes to increase the effectiveness of the team and minimize room for error
- Excellent multi-tasker who is always “on top of it” with stellar time and project management skills; understands the importance of planning in advance to meet deadlines that include multiple review points and iterations
- Strong communicator, both written & verbal
- The highest level of integrity and good judgment, with the ability to effectively deal with highly sensitive, confidential information
- Demonstrated understanding of Duolingo’s business and future growth opportunities
- 5+ years relevant work experience in analytics, business intelligence, data science, or risk analytics team, ideally those that were embedded within a finance team
- BA/BS in a quantitative field (e.g.: statistics, economics, computer science), MS preferred
- Expert-level skills in SQL, R/Python, and statistical methods to analyze and model behavioral data
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA or travel to Duolingo's Pittsburgh, PA headquarters once a month
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Experience with “big data” technologies (e.g., BigQuery)
- Experience with subscription and / or digital goods business models at companies with millions of users
- Experience at a high growth company that has undertaken an IPO or a public technology company
- An impressive Duolingo XP or streak!
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.