Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
As the Payroll Manager will lead Duolingo’s payroll function - currently processing semi-monthly, multi-state payrolls. In this role, you will bring a strategic approach to payroll operations, applying your expertise to scale and evolve the operation to serve business needs all while operating efficiently, compliantly, and with appropriate controls. You will play an integral role in collaborating cross functionally with our friends on the Finance and Accounting teams to navigate complex problems and develop creative and effective solutions to enhance our payroll function.
We are looking for someone who takes on the status-quo with their ideas and who thrives in a growing, constantly evolving environment, but brings elements of citizenship and collaboration to work every single day!
- Champion our Culture: Bring energy, vision, and initiative to help us drive our culture forward by leading a “people first” payroll function.
- Be the Leader: Lead payroll strategy and operations, ensuring that they result in timely, accurate, and compliant execution of payrolls, filings, reports, and audits.
- Be the Specialist: Provide experienced guidance to establishing, evaluating, updating, and scaling processes and controls in conjunction with regulatory, business, and/or system updates.
- Be a Strategic Partner: Collaborate with key partners to ensure the payroll operation serves their needs and vice versa.
- Be Agile: Develop and execute decision making and organizational change plans when identifying a need to improve part of the payroll operation.
- Test Everything: Aim to establish a fail-proof system of controls, guardrails, and reporting to ensure that all payroll processes and integrations are accurate and compliant.
- Ensure Compliance: Collaborate across the Finance, Accounting, and Legal teams to fulfill all vital compliance, auditing, reporting requirements.
- Build Relationships: Foster relationships internally and externally to ensure a diversity of knowledge and resources are considered to develop our payroll operations.
- Provide ad hoc support to the People Team, as needed.
- Global Payroll and Management Experience. You have global knowledge in payroll operations, regulatory requirements, SOX, and have led and/or grown a payroll team.
- Public Company Experience. You have been in a payroll management role for a public company that issues various types of equity.
- Communication Skills. You demonstrate that you can communicate effectively across different groups to reach our goals.
- Self-Awareness and Integrity. You demonstrate a strong understanding of the confidentiality and integrity that comes with leading payroll and other employee demographic data.
- Ability to work in or relocate to Pittsburgh, PA.
- Minimum of bachelor’s degree and 7+ years of experience in payroll for a multi-state and global company, including management experience and experience in a public company with equity.
- Detail-orientation, organizational, and project management skills that ensure that accuracy, efficiency, and compliance are optimized and objectives are created and met.
- Proficient with Workday and related payroll, HRIS, and financial systems.
- Experience implementing payroll systems.
- Sophisticated Excel/Google Sheets skills.
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP) certification.
- Workday Certified Payroll Expert.
- Experience implementing relevant systems and processes to serve a fast-growing start-up environment.
- Experience bringing organization to teams and streamlining processes within organizations.
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.
Take a peek at how we care for our employees' holistic well-being with our benefits here.