Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that’s where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
We are looking for a soon-to-be Ph.D. graduate with expertise in computational linguistics, L2/language learning and assessment, with an interest to use AI and psychometric methodologies to support rigorous foundational and operational validity research for the Duolingo English Test and other products. You will participate in agile, ongoing development of the test supporting our efforts to advance Duolingo’s mission through science.
More information on our University Programs can be found at university.duolingo.com
What you’ll do...
- Collaborate with hardworking researchers, engineers, and designers to bring language expertise and operational excellence principles to life for cutting-edge, research-based assessment instruments
- Partner on the development of validity methodology for a high quality assessment, learning, and feedback
- Contribute to: theoretical underpinnings for the test and item design and scoring, ensuring fairness and assessment score integrity & validity and AI research
- Share research findings through blogs, technical reports, conference presentations (AERA/NCME, IACAT, ACL venues, etc.), and peer-reviewed journals (such as, LTRC, Journal of Educational Measurement, Language Testing, Transactions of the Association for Computational Linguistics)
What we’re looking for…
- PhD in Computational Linguistics or a related field and graduating between Winter/Spring 2021 - Fall 2022
- Research expertise, publication record, and innovation in linguistics/computational linguistics and/or L2/language assessment and learning
- Outstanding interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Knowledge in open-source AI-based tools
- A desire to make the world a better place through technology
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional candidates will have...
- Experience with the design, development, and analysis of language assessments
- Experience with machine learning or natural language processing techniques, with an open mind as to how these can be integrated with traditional psychometrics.
- Experience combining ML/NLP and traditional psychometric approaches either through academic projects or professional work experience (such as internships).
- Proficiency in other natural languages
Why you’ll love working here…
- Language learning opportunities
- Catered in-house lunches, and breakfast and dinner options
- Company-wide Hackathon
- PTO and company holidays
- Frequent company-wide dinners, monthly celebrations, social clubs, and so much more!
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.