Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that’s where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
Duolingo is looking for a recent graduate with expertise in psychometrics, with the desire and ability to support psychometric foundational and operational research, and operational excellence for the Duolingo English Test. You will join Duolingo’s growing research team and contribute to agile, ongoing development of the Duolingo English Test, supporting our efforts to advance Duolingo’s mission through science.
What You’ll Do...
- Interact with hardworking researchers, engineers, and designers to bring psychometric operational excellence principles to life for research assessment instruments
- Help develop psychometric methodology for a high quality assessment, such as quality control processes to monitor test item and score integrity and conducting studies related to the validity of test scores
- Share research findings with partners through blogs, technical reports, conference presentations (AERA/NCME, IACAT, etc.), and peer-reviewed journals (Journal of Educational Measurement, Language Testing, Psychometrika, etc.)
What we’re looking for…
- PhD in psychometrics, statistics, educational measurement, or a related field graduating between August 2021 - Fall 2022
- Research expertise and publication record in the field of psychometrics/educational measurement commensurate with the seniority
- Outstanding interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Evidence of innovation in psychometric research/analysis
- Excellent skills in open-source data science tools, such as R and Python
- Ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional candidates will have...
- Experience with the design, development, and analysis of computer-adaptive tests
- Awareness of machine learning or natural language processing techniques, and an open mind as to how they can be integrated with more traditional psychometrics
- Proficiency in other languages
Why you’ll love working here…
- Language learning opportunities
- Catered in-house lunches, and breakfast and dinner options
- Company-wide Hackathon
- PTO and company holidays
- Frequent company-wide dinners, monthly celebrations, social clubs, and so much more!
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.