Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
We are looking for a Ph.D. candidate with research expertise in language acquisition and experience with science communication to the general public. At Duolingo, you will have an opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, where you see the immediate impact of your work on millions of learners worldwide. This is a 12-week internship for summer 2022 (exact dates flexible).
What you'll do...
- Write engaging articles that are accessible to a wide audience about Duolingo’s progress in improving its teaching effectiveness
- Assist the Public Relations team in data and research-related press inquiries
- Explore data and learning trends to find stories of interest to a general audience
- Describe language learning principles, tips, and research to journalists, partner organizations, and other non-experts
What we're looking for...
- Ph.D. candidacy. You are currently pursuing a Ph.D. degree in cognitive science, cognitive psychology, linguistics, applied linguistics, second language acquisition, or a related field. You must have advanced to candidacy and your planned graduation date must be between fall 2022 and fall 2023.
- Research expertise. You specialize in research in an area within learning sciences, including but not limited to language development, second language acquisition, statistical learning, non-native speech perception & learning, categorization & category learning, analogical learning, or memory.
- Data analysis skills. You have good working knowledge of R, Python, or SQL and are comfortable analyzing quantitative data. You can describe patterns and differences succinctly to highlight why they are interesting and relevant.
- Science communication experience. You have experience communicating science to the general public and a knack for explaining complex concepts in simple ways.
- Language knowledge. You know at least one language other than English, preferably Spanish or French.
- Strong communication. You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Exceptional candidates will have...
- Passion for language learning and knowledge of multiple languages
- Experience with foreign language teaching
Why you’ll love working here…
- Language learning opportunities
- Catered in-house lunches, and breakfast and dinner options
- Company-wide Hackathon
- PTO and company holidays
- Frequent company-wide dinners, monthly celebrations, social clubs, and so much more!
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.