Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
We are looking for a recent or soon-to-be Ph.D. graduate with research expertise in second language acquisition and assessment. At Duolingo, you will have an opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, where you see the immediate impact of your work on millions of learners worldwide.
What you'll do...
- Collaborate on the development of in-app assessments in a variety of languages to evaluate learner achievement across all language skills
- Help design and conduct research studies aimed at assessing the overall efficacy of Duolingo products and features
- Gain insights from analyzing user accuracy and in-app behavior data and communicate findings both internally and externally
What we're looking for...
- Ph.D. degree. You are currently pursuing (or you recently graduated with) a Ph.D. degree in applied linguistics, second language studies, TESOL, or a related field. Your graduation date must be between May 2021 and August 2022.
- Research expertise. You demonstrate strong research ability in second language learning, preferably in language assessment and/or computer-assisted language learning.
- Experience with language testing. You have good foundational knowledge in language assessment and experience designing and developing assessments, analyzing test results, and evaluating quality of tests.
- Data analysis skills. You have strong skills in statistics and data analysis, especially as they relate to assessing the outcomes of language learners at different proficiency levels.
- Language knowledge. You know at least one language other than English.
- Strong communication. You have excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Exceptional candidates will have...
- Experience working in industry, especially in educational technology
- At least basic knowledge of Spanish and/or French
Why you’ll love working here…
- Language learning opportunities
- Catered in-house lunches, and breakfast and dinner options
- Company-wide Hackathon
- PTO and company holidays
- Frequent company-wide dinners, monthly celebrations, social clubs, and so much more!
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.