Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
Keep Duolingo free for millions with a premium experience that learners love.
As a content designer in our Monetization area, you’ll write the words that encourage learners to subscribe to Plus and work hard toward their goals. You and your teammates will be tasked with finding new pathways to Plus, making good features better, and crafting new features that help learners level up their progress and dedication.
Do you love experimenting with content and using data to see what resonates? Awesome! We're all about testing and learning at Duolingo, so we're looking for someone who's ready to write, test, and rewrite. (Then share what you found out — we're learners first.)
This role reports to the Senior Content Designer as a member of the Design team, the instrumental creative partner in most projects at Duolingo. At Duolingo, we take pride in making learning fun and effective for everyone, and you’ll play a meaningful role in helping our learners reach their goals.
- Work with designers, product managers, translators, and engineers to get the right words in the Duolingo app
- Communicate Plus features and functionality by talking up to learners and helping them understand and use the app
- Work on an array of projects, from emails to subscription pages to videos
- Write microcopy like buttons, tooltips, empty states, and push notifications
- Immerse yourself in product features and develop a strategy for how we talk about them
- Build and maintain content style guides for the Monetization area
- Constantly experiment with copy and iterate based on data
- Help to champion a content strategy that weaves the Duolingo brand message and voice into every touchpoint
- See strings through the localization process, ensuring A+ translation
- Ensure Oxford commas are used, everywhere and always
- A portfolio with UX writing samples
- 3+ years of product writing experience, including for a subscription-based product
- A gift for expressing complicated things in plain language
- A background in technical writing, digital content, or design
- Experience giving constructive feedback to writers and others outside your specific area of expertise
- Methods for testing your assumptions with internal and external audiences
- Experience writing copy with localization in mind
- Confidence presenting your work
- The ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA or New York, NY
Outstanding candidates will have...
- UX writing experience in a fast-growing, consumer-facing startup
- Comfort using design tools like Figma or Sketch
- Experience collaborating with translators
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.