Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
Craft an experience that excites our learners to work toward their goals every day.
As a content designer within Duolingo's Engagement area, you’ll write messaging that encourages our learners' progress and keeps them committed to learning. From collaborating on fun new features to writing our (in)famous practice reminders, you’ll have a direct impact on learners worldwide.
Do you like games? Phenomenal! Our product has gamification elements, so you’ll be encouraged to take inspiration from mobile games, experimenting with new ways to hold our learners’ interest like the best games do.
This role reports to the Senior Content Designer as a member of the Design team, the instrumental creative partner in most projects at Duolingo. At Duolingo, we take pride in making learning fun and effective for everyone, and, and your work will play a meaningful role in communicating with our learners and keeping them committed.
- Work with designers, product managers, and engineers to write the words that go into the Duolingo app
- Communicate Engagement features and functionality by talking up to learners and helping them understand and use the app
- Write microcopy like buttons, tooltips, empty states, and push notifications
- Immerse yourself in product features and develop a strategy for how we talk about them
- Build and maintain content style guides for the Engagement area
- Constantly experiment with copy
- Help to develop and champion a content strategy that weaves the Duolingo brand message and voice into every touchpoint
- See the strings you write through the localization process, ensuring A+ translation
- Ensure Oxford commas are used, everywhere and always
- A portfolio with UX writing samples
- 3+ years of product writing experience
- A gift for expressing complicated things in plain language
- A background in technical writing, digital content, or design
- Experience giving constructive feedback to writers and others outside your specific area of expertise
- Methods for testing your assumptions with internal and external audiences
- Experience writing copy with localization in mind
- Confidence presenting your work
- The ability to relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Outstanding candidates will have...
- Professional UX writing experience in a fast-growing, consumer-facing startup
- Comfort using design tools like Figma or Sketch
- Experience collaborating with translators
- A background or interest in mobile gaming
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.