Our mission at Duolingo is to develop the best education in the world and make it universally available. But we’ve got more left to do — and that's where you come in!
Duolingo is the most popular language-learning application in the world, with over 500 million users and over half a billion exercises completed daily. Beyond our core learning product, we have also entered into literacy with Duolingo ABC and English proficiency testing with the Duolingo English Test.
We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding innovative solutions to complex problems. We offer meaningful work, limitless learning opportunities, and collaboration with world-class minds. Come brighten your life and over half a billion more!
We are looking for an experienced applied researcher trained in learning sciences and educational research methods who is also passionate about people management. At Duolingo, you will have an opportunity to apply your skills and knowledge in a fast-paced, collaborative environment, where you see the immediate impact of your work on millions of learners worldwide.
- Provide high-level product guidance from the learning science perspective by translating research findings into concrete ideas that can be applied to Duolingo products
- Identify and apply appropriate research methods for several product-related goals: gaining insights into the pedagogical strengths and weaknesses of Duolingo products and features, finding opportunities for improvement, or assessing the overall product effectiveness
- Be an effective manager of other learning scientists by helping them grow their technical and soft skills, guiding them in their career development, and advocating for their needs
- Collaborate cross-functionally on developing pedagogically-focused product features while maintaining regular communication with curriculum designers and content developers across teams so that their insights and experience are utilized during product development
- Learning science expertise. You specialize in research at the intersection of learning sciences, cognitive psychology, and education.
- Experience with educational research. You are skilled in a variety of research methods used in education and can effectively collaborate with data scientists and user experience researchers.
- Management experience. You have at least 2 years of experience managing people, and you know what it takes to hire, train, and continue developing your reports.
- Coaching skills. You strike a balance between challenging your reports and nurturing them. You know how to deliver constructive feedback (and encourage your reports to do the same). You keep your reports fulfilled and moving forward in their careers.
- Creativity and applied focus. You are passionate about solving practical problems, and can think creatively about how to apply your knowledge in the context of developing an engaging educational app.
- Strong communication. You are an effective, honest, and personable communicator (both written and verbal). You are comfortable and effective speaking in front of groups of all sizes.
- Ph.D. in cognitive psychology, learning sciences, education, or a related field
- 2+ years of experience managing people
- Ability to work full-time from or relocate to Pittsburgh, PA
Exceptional Candidates Will Have...
- Passion for language learning and knowledge of multiple languages
We aim to return to office, and as such are requiring all employees to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19.