We are building Duolingo’s newly formed FP&A / Strategic Finance team as our revenue grows rapidly. We are looking for finance professionals who are hungry to help set up the foundational elements of the finance team. In this role you’ll be defining, implementing and monitoring forecasting processes as we prepare to operate as a public-company ready. The successful candidate for this position has prior experience in deconstructing business drivers, getting into the details and presenting insights and recommendations in a concise executive level format. Ideally, this person also has more recent experience in strategic finance functions at a high-growth company. This role will initially report to the Head of FP&A / Strategic Finance and will play an instrumental role in building the financial future of the company.
Duolingo is the most popular language learning application in the world, with over 300 million users and hundreds of billions of data points. We are passionate about educating our users, making fact-based decisions, and finding elegant solutions to complex problems. While we take our mission to heart, we don’t take ourselves too seriously; we are creative, and we have fun at work everyday. If this sounds like you, then come help us build the next-generation learning company!
- Design and build financial forecasts, track performance and understand deviations from actuals to drive strategy and operational rigor
- Embed with business leaders to provide strategic finance insights throughout the organization and develop informed views on improving the financial forecasts
- Provide regular analysis and insights that inform our forecast and influence our business plans
- Develop and implement the company’s long-term financial model process
- Define metrics and leading indicators of business performance
- Deliver concise reporting and analysis of key metrics and leading indicators of business performance to ensure key drivers, issues, and required actions are deeply understood.
- Develop recurring internal and external stakeholder financial reporting packages (e.g., Board of Directors materials)
- Execute corporate finance initiatives such capital raises
- Minimum of a Bachelor's degree
- 2-5 years of experience in investment banking, consulting, and / or strategic finance at a high growth technology company
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and Google Sheets. You take pride in your analytical and financial modeling skills and enjoy applying them to tackle highly complex business problems.
- Experience with SQL or a willingness to learn is a must
- The ability to deal effectively with ambiguity and thrive in an unstructured, fast-moving environment
- Structured thinking with a strong command of “the details,” that can be summarized into a compelling story behind the data through relevant insights and conclusions
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Able to relocate to or work in our Pittsburgh office
- Experience with digital subscription and in-app purchase mobile businesses with millions of users
- Experience at a high growth company that has undertaken an IPO
- An impressive Duolingo XP or streak!