DRW is a technology-driven, diversified principal trading firm. We trade our own capital at our own risk, across a broad range of asset classes, instruments and strategies, in financial markets around the world. As the markets have evolved over the past 25 years, so has DRW – maximizing opportunities to include real estate, cryptoassets and venture capital. With nearly 900 employees at our Chicago headquarters and offices around the world, we work together to solve complex problems, challenge consensus and deliver meaningful results. It’s a place of high expectations, deep curiosity and thoughtful collaboration.
We are seeking a Virtualization Engineer to architect, deploy, and support the firm’s virtualization infrastructure. A Virtualization Engineer will be dedicated to providing reliable, flexible, and performant VM hosting utilized by the entire firm for many business-critical activities.
- Design, deploy, and administer multiple VMware-based virtualization platforms utilizing VMware vSphere and a variety of 3rd party vendors.
- Assist in managing storage devices utilized by virtualization platforms.
- Conduct performance, capacity, and lifecycle planning and ensure the environment is meeting the needs of the business.
- Manage Veeam VM backup and monitoring environment to ensure systems are running optimally and recovery targets are met.
- Perform problem resolution, root cause analysis, and implement projects to reduce issues.
- Implement automation and scripting to reduce manual tasks and provide proactive alerting to get ahead of outages.
- Manage vendor relationships and research and test new/updated technologies.
- Act as point of escalation to other teams for virtualization knowledge and experience.
- Handle all aspects of new hardware deployments including hardware specifications, quoting, and provisioning.
- Document systems and configurations for ease of support for other members of the team.
- 10+ years of experience designing, deploying, configuring, and maintaining VMware vSphere and associated products (ESXi, vCenter, Airwatch/Workspace ONE, Horizon/View, vSAN, UAG)
- Strong knowledge of virtualization concepts and interactions with guest operating systems
- Solid knowledge of and previous experience using scripting technologies (i.e. PowerShell/PowerCLI or Python)
- Knowledge of storage-related connectivity protocols and technologies (iSCSI, NFS, fibre channel, SAN, NAS, DAS, etc)
- Strong knowledge of networking concepts and their interactions with virtual switches/hosts.
- Experience with VDI, containers, and/or cloud virtualization platforms a plus.
- Proven ability to troubleshoot and resolve production issues while making sensible decisions.
- Previous experience working in the trading industry a plus
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Must have excellent documentation and knowledge management skills
- Proven ability to learn; passion for new technologies
- Be part of a 24x7 support team with on-call rotation
- Must have strong work ethic and initiative, ability to independently manage allocation of time.