Canvas was created to serve the ever-changing needs of the modern driver. We know car ownership can be complicated, so we’re working on creative solutions to alleviate many of the hassles associated with the traditional ways of getting a car. At Canvas, we have the DNA of a startup with the backing and expertise of the global Ford brand. As we look to grow our team, we’re looking for individuals who are resourceful, energetic, and up for the challenge of making cars easy.
When we aren’t hard at work, we’re outside soaking up the sunshine, volunteering for a local cause, or celebrating a birthday over some treats. Our team is proud of what we’re building here as we strive to achieve our goals and evolve our company, together.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Accountant who will assist in overseeing general accounting operations in a fast-paced environment. You will be a key contributor within the team, leading various areas of the monthly financial close process while also managing daily/weekly tasks and reporting.
With your background and past experience, you have the ability to not only identify areas of improvement but also take the initiative to establish and implement those improvements. You will be responsible for constructing and developing original accounting processes and policies in accordance with GAAP. Additionally, you will collaborate with various teams (operations, analytics, FP&A, and engineering) as you identify areas of improvement.
As an integral part of our Accounting team, you are versatile: You are extremely comfortable with technology in both a user and administrator setting. You have strong attention to detail and are equally exceptional with numbers, as with written and verbal communication. You are also extremely organized and can manage multiple projects at once, ensuring proper follow-up and completion of pending items.
This role offers a unique opportunity to work in a fast-paced, startup environment with the backing of one of the largest brands in the world - Ford.
- Prepare the weekly cash report for management
- Manage vehicle purchase payments and funding submissions, and follow up with relevant parties to resolve any discrepancies or delays
- Ensure accurate reporting and ledger maintenance by preparing and owning various monthly account reconciliations and their related schedules, including cash, prepaid assets, accrued liabilities, payroll accounts, fixed assets, and accumulated depreciation
- Prepare monthly/quarterly sales and use tax reporting and submissions
- Oversee payroll function, including managing the bi-weekly and semi-monthly payroll cycles and completing month-end closing journal entries for payroll and PTO accrued liabilities
- Ensure that accounting software applications are synced properly and up-to-date, and resolve any errors that arise
- Implement scalable processes to drive overall efficiency and accuracy in reporting
- Assist with audits and other ad hoc projects as needed
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business, or similar
- 3-5 years of hands-on accounting experience including accounts payable, payroll processing, and month-end close responsibilities
- Ability to work extra hours occasionally for month-end close or ad hoc projects
- Advanced Excel skills (beyond vlookups and pivot tables)
- Familiarity and understanding of prepaid assets and fixed assets/depreciation
- Involvement in past audits
- Experience with Quickbooks, including account reconciliation and general reporting
- Strong mathematical and analytical skills
- Additional skills, including: strong attention to detail, written/verbal communication, ability to meet deadlines, tech savvy
Bonus points if you have...
- Experience with Bill.com, Expensify, Gusto, and/or Zenefits
- Revenue recognition experience
- CPA and/or Big 4 experience
- Experience in a startup or automotive industry
Why you’ll enjoy working at Canvas…
- Opportunity to work in the automotive and mobility space during a time of growth post product launch
- An entrepreneurial environment with a tight-knit and collaborative culture
- Full health benefits, including medical, vision and dental
- Matching 401k
- Catered lunches daily
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Commuter benefits
- Gym subsidy
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Creative office space
- Employee discount on product
- $85,000 - $95,000
**Applicants for this position must be currently authorized to work in the United States on a full-time basis. Visa sponsorship/transfer will not be provided for this position.
Canvas is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Canvas does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.