Canvas was created to serve the ever-changing needs of the modern driver. We know car ownership can be complicated, so we’re working on creative solutions to alleviate many of the hassles associated with the traditional ways of getting a car. At Canvas, we have the DNA of a startup with the backing and expertise of the global Ford brand. As we look to grow our team, we’re looking for individuals who are resourceful, energetic, and up for the challenge of making cars easy.
When we aren’t hard at work, we’re outside soaking up the sunshine, volunteering for a local cause, or celebrating a birthday over some treats. Our team is proud of what we’re building here as we strive to achieve our goals and evolve our company, together.
We are seeking an attorney to serve as Canvas’ first in-house Corporate Counsel. The Corporate Counsel will be responsible for leading corporate strategic and tactical legal initiatives along with providing senior management with effective advice on balancing innovation and compliance. You will advise on company strategies and their implementation, contribute advice on product development, manage the legal function, and obtain and oversee the work of outside counsel (outside law firms and counsel at our parent company, Ford). The Corporate Counsel will safeguard our interest and reputation by making sure the company adheres to legal guidelines in its existing markets and new markets where it will expand.
As a member of the Canvas team, you’ll report directly to the CFO. You will also work closely with both our product and business teams to ensure relevant legal and regulatory considerations are accounted for in all of our business/product endeavors. This role will provide a great opportunity to have high-impact in a fast moving environment and offers the unique opportunity to work for a startup nested under one of the largest companies in the world (Ford).
You’ll Work On…
- Serving as the primary lawyer at Canvas, advising on all aspects of our business
- Researching and evaluating different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations, including evaluating and navigating legal and regulatory considerations for expansion into new markets
- Partnering with the product teams to evaluate/advise on legal considerations for major product changes
- Researching and advising on the regulatory nature of our industry to ensure compliance to protect Canvas’s interests and objectives
- Advising on legal aspects of Canvas’s financing and structure, including advising on and structuring future credit facilities, business structures, and legal entities.
- Drafting and negotiating agreements of all types
- Specifying internal governance policies and regularly monitoring compliance
- Structuring and managing the company’s internal legal function, including overseeing the selection, retention, management and evaluation of all outside counsel
- Leading all lobbying and state and local regulatory initiatives
- Covering other areas, including employment law, IP law, contract management, and corporate governance
- 5+ year of relevant legal practice experience
- J.D degree from an accredited law school, admitted to the CA bar in good standing or registered in-house counsel
- Experience working on corporate issues
- Experience managing other attorneys and supervising support staff in a corporation; experience with cost-effective management of outside legal resources
These Skills Would be a Plus…
- Experience in the automotive or fintech industries
- Background that incorporates a mixture of law firm and in-house experience
- Experience in a startup environment (dynamic, fast-paced, etc.)
Why You’ll Enjoy Working at Canvas...
- Opportunity to work in the automotive and mobility space during a time of growth post product launch
- Entrepreneurial environment with a tight-knit and collaborative culture
- Matching 401k program
- Full health benefits, including medical, vision and dental
- Catered lunches daily
- Annual learning and development stipend
- Commuter benefits
- Gym subsidy
- Unlimited snacks and drinks
- Creative office space
- Employee discount on product
- $150,000 - $220,000
Canvas is an equal opportunity employer and enthusiastically encourages people from a wide variety of backgrounds and experiences to apply. Canvas does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), gender, national origin, citizenship, age, mental or physical disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation or any other basis prohibited by law.