As Senior Director, Art & Design, you will be responsible for building world-class Art and Design teams for the next generation of learning. You will define design productivity for the team and develop mechanisms to measure successful user experiences for our customers. You will be responsible for Art, our interfaces, and device-specific end-user experiences. Challenges will include establishing design best practices, designing standards, patterns, and new experiences.
In this role, you will lead a team of Art, UX Designers, and Researchers while partnering with technology and product teams to define and drive the design and vision for a complex set of product portfolios, some of which will be the first of their kind. To be successful in this role, you will have to design innovative products and multi-modal systems. You will need to understand how to implement design strategies across multiple devices and device types. You will need to attract, retain, and develop the highest quality talent to accomplish this.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Helping to establish, drive and articulate a vision for the future of design at DreamBox; including following through with the processes and tactics necessary to implement the vision
- Establishing goals and target metrics that can be mapped to design decisions
- Managing the day-to-day and strategic activities of UX designers, making sure that the human-centered process is properly planned and followed
- Building, evolving and scaling UX processes, standards, and tools
- Mentoring and coaching UX designers in a motivating and supportive manner and keeping the team on top of emerging UX techniques and tools
- Developing career paths and programs tailored to individual team member professional development
- Gaining a deep understanding of user needs and goals and communicating them to cross functional product teams
- Initiating and managing user experience research and testing processes
- Creating reporting mechanisms and standardization for the UX process
- Measuring the success and effectiveness of the UX Design team
- Conducting analyses of real usage data to inform UX optimization efforts
- Driving the development and communication of design guidelines and patterns including creating pattern libraries, templates, and tools for a variety of users on our platform
- Overseeing close coordination with the product management team to develop a shared vision and then lead a process to define the experience and design to deliver on the product’s objectives
- Partnering with the technology team to ensure we leverage the scale offered by our platform without compromising on core experiential principles
- Creating alignment with other groups within the company by working collaboratively with product teams to launch new features and evolve existing ones based on an understanding of user needs, business objectives and technical constraints
- Translating business goals into innovative, creative and engaging product experiences
- Working strategically with other executives and team members across the organization
- 10+ years of experience in a highly cross-functional role running strategic projects from idea through implementation.
- 6+ years leading & mentoring UX teams, manager of managers a plus.
- Experience successfully leading a large team of designers (10+).
- Examples of broadly influential UX work that contributed directly to the achievement of business goals.
- Experience working across teams to synthesize feedback and input from product management, engineering, and marketing.
- Experience presenting to and influencing senior management.
- Experience working in a collaborative team and working directly with product management and developers for implementation of designs.
Experience designing for SaaS platforms.
- Passion for the field of User Experience. Self-motivated and enthusiastic; knows when it's necessary to seek out guidance.
- Experience facilitating activities to gather insights on user needs and goals and conducting usability testing.
- Experience finding simple, innovative solutions for complex problems.
- Experience with Agile methodologies.
- Strong visual design skills and sensibilities.
- Expert in Art tools and technology or other visual design, wireframing, and prototyping tools. Proficiency in rapid prototyping.
- Highly organized with planning, conducting, and tracking work.
- Excellent communication skills and interpersonal skills; ability to work successfully with teams across the organization, including Product Management and Engineering.
- Ability to articulate design decisions and advocate for the user.
- Bachelor's degree in design, human-computer interaction (HCI), or equivalent professional experience.
- Must be legally authorized to work in the US
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company.
*Open to remote employees in the US.
#LI-Remote #BI-Remote #LI-DJ1
At DreamBox, we believe diversity is an essential strength. That’s why we’re committed to providing an inclusive culture, an equitable work environment, and creating the most effective educational products that celebrate the diversity in students, families, communities, and the world. We know that talent exists everywhere, but opportunity does not. Therefore, we are a proud equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, but we don’t make these commitments simply because they’re required by law. We hold ourselves to a higher standard and make these commitments so that everyone at DreamBox can bring their full selves to our important mission. Our identities matter, and in order to create a more just, equitable world, we know it begins with DreamBox being an inclusive workplace that serves as a model for that change.