About the Role:
DreamBox is currently seeking a Senior Site Reliability Engineer in the SRE Team within the Technology Department. Never been an SRE before? No problem; if you’re a capable developer and have an interest in the inner workings and leverage that platforms can provide, read on! SREs at DreamBox take direct ownership of the platform, tooling, and automation that enables reliable deployment and reliable execution of all of DreamBox’s backend and frontend services. They’re not simply responsible for the operation of these foundational components, but for the full SDLC, from initial idea to eventual retirement. An ideal candidate for this job hates toil, and loves to build scalable, robust software that automates it away.
The ideal candidate is also customer-obsessed. This means that you think about system availability at every level, from every angle; that you use metrics to drive decision-making; that you consult with your internal customers how you can enable them to build,
test, deploy, monitor, and operate their services in increasingly frictionless ways, with higher quality. You understand the leverage inherent in treating operations and processes as software problems and understand how to communicate the value of that work.
If this sounds like you, we need you to help us continue the massive gains we’ve already achieved. Come join us!
What You'll Be Doing:
- Working and collaborating with a team of engineers with diverse skill sets.
- Taking part in the architecture and implementation of our container orchestration platform, CI/CD pipeline, and other internal tools.
- Automating manual processes through software, enabling other engineering teams to completely own all aspects of the SDLC of their application services.
- Researching, evaluating, and working with cutting-edge technologies that are defining the future of the cloud.
- Collaborating with other engineers in the organization to foster solid engineering principles, and drive improvement.
- Helping us shape a DevOps culture, and foster its adoption.
- Participating in On-Call rotation.
- Ensuring that DreamBox production systems meet or exceed all SLAs.
- Ensuring that DreamBox production systems can maintain SLA availability measures for the foreseeable future, allowing for planned or even likely change and growth.
- Working with other teams to ensure that non-production systems also meet or exceed SLAs. This will entail technical work (like implementing redundancy or improving test automation) as well as non-technical work like training, listening, and coaching.
- Helping systems owners and multiple levels of management to understand the costs of availability decisions, in terms dollars but also in flexibility, transparency and management overhead.
- Ensuring work is completed in a timely manner, and in accordance with Dreambox best practices and team working agreements.
- Meeting and exceeding personal goals, that demonstrably support team key results, as established with direct manager.
To achieve your goals and those of the SRE team, you’ll want to build a strong partnership with the heads of, and key influencers in many departments, including:
- Backend Engineering
- Frontend Engineering
- Customer Success
And you’ll need to actively seek out better understanding of those groups’ goals by attending demonstrations and other information sessions they provide, and consuming any documentation they generate.
- 3 years or more experience writing software (preferably with Python and Go) and scripting (Bash)
- 3 years or more experience supporting software at scale in a high-availability cloud environment, preferably with AWS
- Relevant work experience with containers and container orchestration
- Relevant work experience with Build/Test/Deployment Automation
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills
- Robust problem-solving skills
- Able to clearly articulate definition of and proper handling for PII
#LI-Remote #LI-DJ1 #BI-Remote
At DreamBox, we are hooked on celebrating diversity & providing an inclusive workplace and it shows throughout our product, brand, and teams. We are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. Thanks for considering DreamBox Learning!