Established in 2007, Downtown Music Publishing is one of the world's leading rights-management firms with offices in major music markets around the globe, including New York, Nashville, Los Angeles, London, Amsterdam, and Tokyo. The company's catalog spans over seven decades of popular music, encompassing some of the world's most beloved songwriters and artists including The Beatles, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Ryan Tedder, Benny Blanco, Robin Thicke, The Kinks, Hans Zimmer, Mötley Crüe, One Direction, Naughty Boy, Hardwell, Sturgill Simpson, Santigold, Carla Bruni, and Social Distortion. Downtown Music Publishing is wholly owned by Downtown & Company, which also owns New York-based Downtown Music Studios and Songtrust, the world’s largest technology platform for songwriting and music publishing royalties, which powers global royalty collection from over 120 territories and more than 20,000 unique income sources worldwide.
Our finance team is seeking an Accounts Payable Specialist to join our New York office. As our Accounts Payable Specialist you will have the opportunity to take ownership of our cash disbursement and accounts payable accounting operation. You will be a vital asset and will directly contribute to our goal of being the leading rights management firm in the industry. If you thrive in a fast-paced and agile environment and have a strong interest in the music industry, this role will be perfect for you.
What will you be doing?
- Owning our cash disbursement and accounts payable accounting operation
- Daily reconciliation of cash balance
- Process invoices and secure needed approvals for payment to ensure our vendors are paid on a timely basis
- Preparing and distributing 1099s
- Working with our NY-based Controller and Accounting Manager to assist in establishing processes for monthly and quarterly closing of the books.
- Reconciling liability and prepaid expense accounts each month
- Reconciling inter-company accounts
- Analyzing and provide commentary on fluctuations/variances in our key accounts each month
- Acting as a liaison to our vendors and customers who have billing inquiries
- Reviewing and reconciling monthly employee expense reports, including working closely with our creative departments to analyze travel and entertainment expenses
- Assisting the CFO, Controller or Accounting Manager with ad-hoc projects
- A degree in Accounting or related area of study
- 3+ years bookkeeping experience, including managing an accounts payable function
- Strong with Microsoft Excel, and a big plus if you have skills with Excel macros, Power Query, Power Pivot, or Power BI
- Numerically obsessed, highly meticulous, and organized
- Accountable and take ownership of projects you undertake
- Analytical and curious -- you ask a lot of questions
- Ability to communicate financial information in a clear, professional manner
- Experience in music royalties or other media royalties-based businesses a plus
Why you want to work here:
- The chance to work in our amazing loft office in SoHo, NYC
- Ample opportunities to work collaboratively with a fantastic team
- Rich benefit program, Life Insurance, 401k
- Career growth opportunities
- Free CitiBike Membership
- Volunteer Hours
- Invitations from partners and clients to attend shows / events
- Regular happy hours, speaker series in our conference space