Established in 2007, Downtown Music Publishing is one of the world's leading rights-management firms with offices in major music markets around the globe, including New York, Nashville, Los Angeles, London, Amsterdam, and Tokyo. The company's catalog spans over seven decades of popular music, encompassing some of the world's most beloved songwriters and artists including The Beatles, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Ryan Tedder, Benny Blanco, Robin Thicke, The Kinks, Hans Zimmer, Mötley Crüe, One Direction, Naughty Boy, Hardwell, Sturgill Simpson, Santigold, Carla Bruni, and Social Distortion. Downtown Music Publishing is wholly owned by Downtown & Company, which also owns New York-based Downtown Music Studios and Songtrust, the world’s largest technology platform for songwriting and music publishing royalties, which powers global royalty collection from over 120 territories and more than 20,000 unique income sources worldwide.
Downtown’s internships are for credit only -- candidates must be enrolled in a college or university. If offered a position, students must provide a letter from their college or university confirming that they will receive school credit. The minimum time commitment is two days per week, to be spent across a minimum of 16 hours per week, working from our New York City office in SoHo. It is also required that interns bring their own Wi-Fi enabled laptop to the office.
Business Development Intern
The purpose of this internship is to support a busy business development department while learning about all facets of publishing day to day operations in a rapidly growing company. You will work alongside the head of the department and will spend your time researching unsigned writers, bands, and producers.
WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
- Researching unsigned writers, bands, and producers
- Assisting with weekly research reports focused on current charts, trends etc.
- Assisting Business Development department on all matters related to catalog acquisitions, admin and co-pub deals.
- Building databases for Business Development and Research A&R
- Comfortable and skilled in both written and verbal communication
- Someone who has an interest and basic understanding of music publishing and research
- Knowledgeable of the domestic and international artists
- Skilled in Microsoft Excel/Google Sheets, and experienced in collecting, organizing, and manipulating large pools of data
- Confident carrying out projects from start to finish, and providing quality data
WHY YOU WANT TO WORK HERE:
- An opportunity to work with some of the most talented professionals in the music industry in a casual and welcoming environment
- Weekly Q&A sessions with the head of each department
- A collaborative group project connecting the operations of multiple departments and companies within Downtown
- Frequent interactive presentations, office-wide breakfasts/lunches, birthday celebrations, and other special events
- SoHo -- need we say more?