Established in 2007, Downtown Music Publishing is one of the world's leading rights-management firms with offices in major music markets around the globe, including New York, Nashville, Los Angeles, London, Amsterdam, and Tokyo. The company's catalog spans over seven decades of popular music, encompassing some of the world's most beloved songwriters and artists including The Beatles, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Ryan Tedder, Benny Blanco, Robin Thicke, The Kinks, Hans Zimmer, Mötley Crüe, One Direction, Naughty Boy, Hardwell, Sturgill Simpson, Santigold, Carla Bruni, and Social Distortion. Downtown Music Publishing is wholly owned by Downtown & Company, which also owns New York-based Downtown Music Studios and Songtrust, the world’s largest technology platform for songwriting and music publishing royalties, which powers global royalty collection from over 120 territories and more than 20,000 unique income sources worldwide.
Downtown’s internships are for credit only -- candidates must be enrolled in a college or university. If offered a position, students must provide a letter from their college or university confirming that they will receive school credit. The minimum time commitment is two days per week, to be spent across a minimum of 16 hours per week, working from our New York City office in SoHo. It is also required that interns bring their own Wi-Fi enabled laptop to the office.
YouTube Rights Management Intern
This part-time internship will primarily support the responsibilities of Downtown Music Publishing’s YouTube Specialist. The YouTube Rights Management Intern will learn about YouTube; how it generates income for people and businesses, how people engage with the world’s largest social video platform, and how music copyright fits into all of this. The YouTube Rights Management Intern will learn to navigate YouTube’s backend (CMS dashboard) and determine how to review and monetize videos that contain our clients’ music. Attention to detail and strong research skills are key for this internship, as the Intern will be tasked with gathering music metadata. The YouTube Rights Management Intern will also be responsible for maintaining Downtown’s YouTube Channel by researching topical songs and curating the channel’s playlists. This internship will provide the Intern an opportunity to manage and evaluate YouTube’s backend and test new strategies.
SO, WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
- Conduct day-to-day CMS tasks including reviewing and claiming videos
- Stay up-to-date with song releases and compile song lists for ingestion
- Manage and prioritize ownership conflicts and coordinating 3rd-party outreach
- Organize and polish Downtown’s YouTube channel content by optimizing video playlists
- Research and monetize new and existing videos containing clients’ songs via manual claiming
- Create and maintain spreadsheets of music metadata
- Familiarity with Gmail, YouTube, and Google Search
- Familiarity with Microsoft Excel, Google Drive, and Google Sheets
- Strong interest in new media and music
- Basic understanding of music publishing & music copyright
- A keen attention to detail
- A passion for helping songwriters make money
WHY YOU WANT TO WORK HERE:
- An opportunity to work with some of the most talented professionals in the music industry in a casual and welcoming environment
- Weekly Q&A sessions with the head of each department
- A collaborative group project connecting the operations of multiple departments and companies within Downtown
- Frequent interactive presentations, office-wide breakfasts/lunches, birthday celebrations, and other special events
- SoHo -- need we say more?