Established in 2007, Downtown Music Publishing is one of the world's leading rights-management firms with offices in major music markets around the globe, including New York, Nashville, Los Angeles, London, Amsterdam, and Tokyo. The company's catalog spans over seven decades of popular music, encompassing some of the world's most beloved songwriters and artists including The Beatles, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Ryan Tedder, Benny Blanco, Robin Thicke, The Kinks, Hans Zimmer, Mötley Crüe, One Direction, Naughty Boy, Hardwell, Sturgill Simpson, Santigold, Carla Bruni, and Social Distortion. Downtown Music Publishing is wholly owned by Downtown & Company, which also owns New York-based Downtown Music Studios and Songtrust, the world’s largest technology platform for songwriting and music publishing royalties, which powers global royalty collection from over 120 territories and more than 20,000 unique income sources worldwide.
Downtown’s internships are for credit only -- candidates must be enrolled in a college or university. If offered a position, students must provide a letter from their college or university confirming that they will receive school credit. The minimum time commitment is two days per week, to be spent across a minimum of 16 hours per week, working from our New York City office in SoHo. It is also required that interns bring their own Wi-Fi enabled laptop to the office.
Marketing and Communications Intern
This internship has been designed to be an amazing opportunity for someone who is passionate about music and has a burning desire to help brands tell their stories better. If you're looking for a fast-paced working environment where you will be exposed to many different types of marketing and branding projects, this internship is for you! This position will be highly involved in ALL aspects of marketing: social media, content creation, communications, digital, design, public relations, events, and more.
SO, WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
- Assisting the Marketing & Communications Designer in day to day activities of the marketing department
Developing highly effective content across various digital platforms ( social media, website, song case studies, Spotify playlists, etc.)
Drafting public relations materials including press releases, media alerts, pitch emails, and other materials as directed
Assisting with curation and drafting of various internal communications, including monthly global newsletters, daily news clips and more
- Organization of Downtown’s client and brand assets
- Researching new marketing strategies and presenting ideas
- Create and maintain media lists, editorial calendars, media clip summaries, coverage grids and other databases
- Provide on-site assistance at various events, activations, etc.
- A strong written and oral communicator with excellent attention to detail and demonstrated ability to synthesize complex information and present it in a clear, concise and conversational manner
- Eager to learn about marketing and communications in a creative environment
- Current undergraduate student (rising Sophomore or above) pursuing degree in Communications, Journalism, Business, English, Music or another relevant field
- Experienced with running a social media calendar for a company or brand using the latest tools: (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, LinkedIn, YouTube, Snapchat, etc.)
- Interested in/obsessed with music, pop culture, entertainment, memes, and general internet culture
- A task manager with the ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize work assignments appropriately.
- Positive, proactive, and resourceful
- Computer literate, internet and social media savvy, and experienced with Google Docs & Drive
- Proficiency with image and video editing is a major plus
WHY YOU WANT TO WORK HERE:
- An opportunity to work with some of the most talented professionals in the music industry in a casual and welcoming environment
- Weekly Q&A sessions with the head of each department
- A collaborative group project connecting the operations of multiple departments at Downtown
- Frequent interactive presentations, office-wide breakfasts/lunches, birthday celebrations, and other special events
- SoHo -- need we say more?