Established in 2007, Downtown Music Publishing is one of the world's leading rights-management firms with offices in major music markets around the globe, including New York, Nashville, Los Angeles, London, Amsterdam, and Tokyo. The company's catalog spans over seven decades of popular music, encompassing some of the world's most beloved songwriters and artists including The Beatles, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Ryan Tedder, Benny Blanco, Robin Thicke, The Kinks, Hans Zimmer, Mötley Crüe, One Direction, Naughty Boy, Hardwell, Sturgill Simpson, Santigold, Carla Bruni, and Social Distortion. Downtown Music Publishing is wholly owned by Downtown & Company, which also owns New York-based Downtown Music Studios and Songtrust, the world’s largest technology platform for songwriting and music publishing royalties, which powers global royalty collection from over 120 territories and more than 20,000 unique income sources worldwide.
Downtown’s internships are for credit only -- candidates must be enrolled in a college or university. If offered a position, students must provide a letter from their college or university confirming that they will receive school credit. The minimum time commitment is two days per week, to be spent across a minimum of 16 hours per week, working from our New York City office in SoHo. It is also required that interns bring their own Wi-Fi enabled laptop to the office.
Digital Marketing and Design Intern
This internship has been designed to be an amazing opportunity for someone who is passionate about music, and has a burning desire to help brands visually tell their stories better. If you're looking for a fast-paced working environment where you will be exposed to many different types of marketing and branding projects, this internship is for you! This position will be highly involved in ALL aspects of marketing: social media, content creation, communications, digital, design, public relations, events, and more.
SO, WHAT WILL YOU BE DOING?
- Assisting the Marketing & Communications Designer in day to day activities of the marketing department;
- Executing on design and development of layouts for marketing materials, using appealing graphics that are clean and well organized
- Assisting with data migration from the company’s current CMS (Wordpress) to Hubspot, and building out content for new pages
- Executing on photography/video editing projects
- Brainstorming and developing marketing campaigns daily for our social accounts (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Spotify, Youtube, LinkedIn etc.)
- Contributing to the creation and organization of client and Downtown brand assets
- Researching new marketing strategies, and presenting ideas
- Managing and organizing client assets;
- A visually compelling storyteller with an ability to execute ideas that push boundaries
- A stickler when it comes to attention to detail and can demonstrate this by your ability to synthesize complex information and present it in a clear, concise and digestible manner
- Current undergraduate student (rising Sophomore or above) pursuing degree in Fine Arts / Graphic Design, Journalism, Business, Web Design, Music or another relevant field
- Interested in/obsessed with music, pop culture, entertainment, memes, and general internet culture
- Experienced with Adobe InDesign, and proficiency in Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator
- A task manager with the ability to handle multiple tasks and prioritize work assignments appropriately, in a deadline-oriented environment
- Positive, proactive, and resourceful
- Creative at the core, and excited about pitching ideas
- Open to constructive criticism and feedback
- Computer literate, internet and social media savvy, and experienced with Google Docs & Drive
- Knowledgeable in photo/video editing applications i.e. Photoshop, iPhoto, iMovie, Final Cut, etc.
- Bonus points if you know how to work with Sketch / InVision
- Previous experience in HTML5, CSS3 and Adobe Suite is prefered
The right candidate will possess an eagerness to identify, learn, and use new and emerging technologies. Be prepared to present your portfolio if you are selected for an interview.
WHY YOU WANT TO WORK HERE:
- An opportunity to work with some of the most talented professionals in the music industry in a casual and welcoming environment
- Weekly Q&A sessions with the head of each department
- A collaborative group project connecting the operations of multiple departments at Downtown
- Frequent interactive presentations, office-wide breakfasts/lunches, birthday celebrations, and other special events
- SoHo -- need we say more?