Established in 2007, Downtown Music Publishing is one of the world's leading rights-management firms with offices in major music markets around the globe, including New York, Nashville, Los Angeles, London, Amsterdam, and Tokyo. The company's catalog spans over seven decades of popular music, encompassing some of the world's most beloved songwriters and artists including The Beatles, John Lennon & Yoko Ono, Ryan Tedder, Benny Blanco, Robin Thicke, The Kinks, Hans Zimmer, Mötley Crüe, One Direction, Naughty Boy, Hardwell, Sturgill Simpson, Santigold, Carla Bruni, and Social Distortion. Downtown Music Publishing is wholly owned by Downtown & Company, which also owns New York-based Downtown Music Studios and Songtrust, the world’s largest technology platform for songwriting and music publishing royalties, which powers global royalty collection from over 120 territories and more than 20,000 unique income sources worldwide.
Downtown’s internships are for credit only -- candidates must be enrolled in a college or university. If offered a position, students must provide a letter from their college or university confirming that they will receive school credit. The minimum time commitment is two days per week, to be spent across a minimum of 16 hours per week, working from our Nashville office. It is also required that interns bring their own Wi-Fi enabled laptop to the office.
Creative A&R Intern:
DMP Nashville opened in 2014 and has quickly become one the top publishers in the Nashville music community. The Nashville office is a creative hub representing writers and artists working to provide them with a variety of creative collaborations and opportunities. DMP Nashville has had cuts on various major label country albums including, Blake Shelton, Rascal Flatts, Lady Antebellum, Josh Turner, Granger Smith, Justin Moore, Chris Lane and more. DMP Nashville has a diverse roster including Andy Albert, Kelly Archer, Marc Beeson, Sara Haze, Jillian Jacqueline, Kendell Marvel, Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Who Is Fancy and more.
So, What Will You Be Doing?
- Organizing and updating the catalog;
- Uploading new audio to Songspace while creatively tagging it for A&R department (i.e. lyrical theme, scene description, tempo;
- Designing monthly mailers regarding licensing announcements;
- Formatting and updating lyrics
- Managing and organizing publishing splits
- Assisting the A&R team with other various projects and events
- Passionate about music and how it is used in the media
- Someone who has a strong understanding of music trends and a familiarity with many different type of genres
- Organized, reliable and hard-working
- Technical skills with both PC and Mac programs including Excel, Word, Apple products, Google Docs
- Proficient in social media; Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Google+, LinkedIn, YouTube, Snapchat, Vine, Periscope, etc.
- Excited to be part of a creative environment
Why You Want to Work Here:
- Opportunity to work with some of the most talented professionals in the music industry in a casual and welcoming environment
- Weekly Q&A sessions with the head of each department
- A collaborative group project connecting the operations of multiple departments and companies within Downtown
- Frequent interactive presentations, office-wide breakfasts/lunches, birthday celebrations, and other special events