Double Good creates joy through our product based fundraising platform. Our solution helps organizations raise funds fast. We deliver made-to-order delicious popcorn direct to supporters through an ecommerce platform. We’re 220 employees strong and growing.
Our growing Brand Technical team is responsible for supporting data-based decisions around the strategic fit and impact of new ingredients, new products, and new processes. In this newly created role of Food Scientist, you will bring your advanced understanding of food, ingredients and their functional attributes to help improve product quality and drive innovation at Double Good. This role offers the ability to impact our entire product line and to interact with over 20 vendors and nearly twice as many ingredients.
Following the belief that sensory and science combine to make the best popcorn possible, you will be instrumental in supporting our ever-increasing R&D and supply chain security testing initiatives. You will be responsible for helping design and set-up testing experiments, as well as translate the results into tangible specifications and data that can be used for decision making and training.
This role is onsite at our Burr Ridge production facility.
About the role:
- Help strengthen Double Good's programs in food product development with both ingredient and product samples. Stay up to date on food science advancements and industry trends to inform and influence Double Good testing priorities, quality standards and procurement activities
- Develop a deep understanding of our unique production processes to better understand how changes in ingredients and formulations can impact product quality
- Combine technical expertise with in-house experience to provide clear guidance and recommendations on changes to raw materials and formulations
- Become the subject matter expert on our raw materials through research, testing, experimentation and partnerships with suppliers, to help select materials that are best suited for our recipes.
- Develop & maintain documentation for both functional & technical product specifications with a focus on defining quality standards at Double Good.
- Troubleshoot and educate when challenges in process adherence or formulation affect product quality. As needed, guide corrective action or improvements to ensure products remain in specification
- Help design and assist with testing to support initiatives regarding nutrient claims, shelf life, regulatory-based product standards or equipment modifications that affect finished goods
Experience & Skills we value:
- Bachelor’s or Master's degree in food science/engineering, food chemistry, nutrition or related field
- Demonstrated success in product formulation and ingredient selection projects in food manufacturing
- Ability to influence and work collaboratively with various stakeholders, including R&D, supply chain, procurement and food safety/quality
- A love for learning and staying up to date with scientific advancements in the food science field
- You have a passion for the customer experience and producing high-quality products
- Ability to use critical thinking to question the process and improve the status quo
- Ability to work with all major food allergens
- Experience analyzing experimental data and performing various product tests using equipment such as a viscometer, moisture analyzer and texture analyzer
Nice to have and/or you’ll learn:
- Sensory training or taste test panel experience
- Background in working with agronomy products (especially corn), sugars, flavors, and/or seasonings
- Experience with Quality Management Systems and/or a PLM (product life cycle management) Systems
About Double Good:
At Double Good, we believe in the power of joy and connection. Our small batch popcorn sold through a user-friendly app allows organizations to focus on what they love. Our values - people matter, deliver excellence, own it, and enjoy the ride - guide the journey.
As featured on the Today Show, Double Good is not just about the product - we have a strong social mission. We partner with purposeful organizations to benefit students and youth athletes. We’ve helped organizations raise over $200M and 50% of sales goes directly to our customers.
As the #1 product-based virtual fundraising app, we are experiencing rapid growth. Join us in making a positive impact on communities nationwide.
Double Good offers our employees:
- Competitive pay
- Autonomous work environment
- 401k with 4% Match
- Health Insurance, Dental & Vision offered with competitive company contribution
- Comprehensive Employee Assistance Program (EAP) available to all employees 24/7
- Healthiest You (teladoc service) covered 100% by Double Good
- Company sponsored disability and life insurance
- Working with amazing charity partners and helping kids.
- Relaxed, Fast-Paced work environment. (It’s a thing, we swear).
- Company events (Happy Hours, Massages, Ice Cream Trucks)
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We desire to have our employees reflect the diverse communities we serve. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.