Inspired by minimalist art, Dots was created with the notion that beauty and fun are not mutually exclusive. Now as a successful studio, our goal is to provide the world with stylish and meaningful daily play experiences. We need an associate Art Director in our New Games department to join our diverse, multi-talented team.
Are you excellent at transforming vague, open ended instructions into clear mock-ups and polished art work under time pressure?
We are looking for a brilliant Associate Art Director to join our New Games team, and help us to envision and create beautiful and compelling settings and characters for our new games.
- Take written and verbal briefs from game designers, and create beautiful, clear visual worlds and characters for them
- Create mood-boards, sketches, and high fidelity mock-ups for prototypes and for internal discussions
- Do visual research and play relevant games to understand different genres, depending on the project
- Identify talented artists and vendors to collaborate with
- Develop documentation and briefing documents for art assets
- Report to the Studio Art Director
We are looking for:
- Proven experience in developing the vision for compelling worlds in a variety of styles
- Excellent communication skills
- You can communicate your vision quickly in sketches and drawings
- You can take vague words, and turn them into tangible briefs by asking the right questions
- You are comfortable breaking down and defining tasks and components of a project, and accurately assessing timelines and budgets for projects
- Flexible attitude and curiosity toward exploring and delivering different art styles
- Examples of sketches and final, published art in your portfolio, showcasing your ability to solve visual and communication challenges on a high level (note: finals do not have to be done by you, as long as you directed the artist)
- 5+ years experience as a creative, and at least 2 years doing art direction or concepting
- Experience in delivering high quality art for games, apps, advertising, animations, fashion
- A portfolio (website or attached as a PDF) with at least 3 examples of your sketches and final art/design based on your sketches in at least two different styles, preferably more
- Ease using design tools like Adobe Creative Suite and Procreate to create sketches and mock-ups, and experience with productivity platforms like Google Suite, Trello, KanBan; extra points if you have used Unity
*Please note that the work samples that you share with us will not be used for any other purpose than to to assess your qualifications for this role.
You will be a great match if you:
- Think on your feet, and enjoy conceiving graphic directions for other people’s ideas
- Are a cultural polyglot who can sublimate many influences into a coherent vision
- Are a born communicator, comfortable both listening to others and presenting your own thoughts and ideas
- Have intellectual humility, welcome feedback, and enjoy collaborating
- Thrive in a creative, fast paced environment
- You play and love mobile games, and are excited about working in that field
- You have a rolodex of artists you follow, and art vendors you like to work with
- You pay attention to the small stuff. You’re reading this checklist and note that we are asking you to include the word “squid” at the end of your cover letter.
Dots is an award-winning gaming company with three mobile hits—Dots , Two Dots, and Dots & Co—and over 100 million installs. We are newly proud members of the Take-Two Interactive family.
While currently fully remote, we expect to return to our stylish office, located in Manhattan in the historic Meatpacking District, once we can safely do so.
We promote a friendly, honest, and collaborative work environment and believe we are at our best when we include everyone, regardless of one’s race, nationality, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, physical ability or attribute, and religious beliefs. We are proud of the diversity we’ve fostered and are continuing to make changes within the company to make Dots more equitable for everyone.
Here at Dots we offer a suite of benefits, including:
- Annual company retreat
- Regular company outings for team building
- Active Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion groups at Dots and Take-Two
- 100% health insurance coverage for you and your family (medical, dental and vision)
- One Medical membership
- HSA and FSA accounts
- 18 weeks paid Parental Leave for primary caregivers
- 401k contributions
- Student loan assistance program
- Discounts with CitiBike + Class Pass memberships
- And more...
This is a full time role based in New York City. We are currently working remotely, but expect this candidate to be available to work out of our office once it is safe to do so.
Note: We are a small team, and thank you in advance for your patience while we review what we anticipate will be a large volume of portfolios and applicants.