The Area Supervisor (AS) is the CEO of an area of stores. The AS’s mission is to ensure that each store is operating at its highest levels through constant on the ground monitoring of operations and tracking the performance metrics of each store. The AS is responsible for ensuring the reliability and quality of the stores by managing a staff of SOLs, Sr. Shoppers, and Shoppers . The AS will manage the performance of each team and optimize (hire/fire) the staff when necessary. The success of an AS is also tied to the performance metrics from our CNG OKRs.
Area Supervisors have a strong pulse of their stores at any given time. They will have daily communication with SOL, Sr. Shopper, and Shoppers, and will be the first or second line (if not in store) of defense for any issues that arise. In addition, their role will have an increased focus on people management, strategy, and recruiting/hiring/onboarding, but the core DNA of this role is to be in store and to shop. The role’s focus and day to day responsibility is as follows:
- Operations Management - The AS will be driving for optimal operational performance. This will not only require tight monitoring of SOPs and metrics, but it will also require each store to experiment with finding new ways to improve reliability, quality, and efficiency. Duties include:
- In-store shopping
- Troubleshoot and raise awareness for operational issues
- Manage quality, reliability, and productivity metrics
- Manage and troubleshoot customer and dasher issues
- Manage store and vendor relationships
- Carry out feature MVPs and operation experiments
- Manage attendance by ensuring shoppers come to work on time and finding replacement when shoppers do not show
- People and Performance Management - The AS will be held accountable for building and maintaining the success of their teams. A large part of the role will be operating the best teams by recruiting, hiring, and onboarding all-star shoppers. At the same time, the AS will make tough decisions through performance management and making necessary terminations. As people managers, the AS will ensure our team is working in a safe environment and following DoorDash and store HR policies. They will also take on administrative functions, so that our operations can run smoothly.
- Recruiting, hiring, onboarding, and terminating shoppers
- Administrative tasks (scheduling, timesheet management, etc.)
- Performance management
- Employee feedback and performance reviews
- Employee engagement and store culture development
- Workforce management
- Training and Adherence - The AS will be an expert in all the operations, tools, and features that our business launches. As such, the AS will also train each of the shopper team members, and ensure that each team is adhering to the new processes. Duties include:
- Teach and implement new features, tools and processes
- Monitor and enforce the adherence of features, tools, and processes
- Orientation / onboard new shoppers (e.g. shadowing, sharing specifics, etc.)
- Data and Reporting - The AS will be experts in their business and report the overall health of their stores to the AMs and Regional Ops team. The reporting purposes are to provide a deep understanding of the current state of their business, reasons for metric performance, and forward looking expectations. This will be a data-centric supervisor that will frequently pull data and study metrics to provide business insights, similar to an AM. Duties include:
- Weekly Business Review - Similar to our weekly CnG Store ops weekly, but much more comprehensive
- End of Shift Watch - Daily reporting of previous day’s performance
- Misc reports - Strategic projects, staffing, administrative, etc. reports
- Track and monitor dashboards (e.g. Chartio - “Area Manager Dashboard”, “Shopper Call Adherence”, etc.) to report on the health of our business
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
We are leaders – Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
We are operators – We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions to lead our company and our industry is what we do on every project, every day.
We are learners – Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute. We are committed to learning and implementing what is best for our customers, merchants, and dashers.
We are one team – The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly and always learn and reiterate to support merchants, Dashers and the communities we serve. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods. Read more on the DoorDash website, the DoorDash blog, the DoorDash Engineering blog, and the DoorDash Careers page.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. Our leaders seek the truth and welcome big, hairy, audacious questions. We are grounded in our company values, and we make intentional decisions that are both logical and display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to Merchants to Customers.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall wellbeing by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.