Come help us build the world's most reliable on-demand, logistics engine for delivery! We're bringing on talented engineers to help us create and maintain a 24x7, no downtime, global infrastructure system that powers DoorDash’s three-sided marketplace of consumers, merchants, and dashers.
About the Team
DoorDash is a data driven organization and relies on timely, accurate and reliable data to drive many business and product decisions. The Data Platform owns all the infrastructure necessary to run an operationally efficient analytical data stack. The Core Data part of this includes data ingestion (batch and real time), data compute & transformation, data storage (warehouse, data lake, OLAP etc.), querying infrastructure as well as data compliance, quality and governance. The other areas of major focus are Machine Learning Infrastructure and workflow, Experimentation Platform, Knowledge Graphs and various Data Science and Analytics related tooling.
About the Role
DoorDash is looking for a Software Engineer to lead the Metrics Platform team. This team is part of the Data Platform organization and is responsible for building the next generation Metrics Platform for DoorDash. This platform will sit centrally within DoorDash and power data analytics, AI and insights from business and operational datasets. You will be working with the latest big data technologies like Snowflake, Spark, Data Lake, Pinot, Dagster etc.
As the leader of this team, you will work with multiple cross-functional stakeholders like Experimentation Platform team, Machine Learning Platform team, Infrastructure organization, Data Science, Data Engineering and Data Analytics. Your platform will manage multi-petabytes of data on a daily basis. As the volume, variety, and velocity of the data increases at DoorDash, there is a wide range of challenges that will need to be solved, such as metrics discovery, correctness, governance & compliance, and standardization and accessing of key business metrics.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Drive vision & strategy for building the Metrics Platform charter.
- You will bring your expertise in building and operating high scale systems with a focus on reliability and quality.
- Help build a well run, successful team via coaching, mentoring and providing technical guidance and leadership.
- Coach, mentor and inspire a diverse team of engineers hungry for impact to address the growing needs of the organization
- Collaborate with stakeholders building solutions on top of the platform
- A positive and supportive work culture.
We’re excited about you because…
- High-energy and confident - you’ll do whatever is right and just to succeed
- You’re an owner - driven, focused, and quick to take ownership of your work
- Humble - you’re willing to jump in and you’re open to feedback
- Adaptable, resilient, and able to thrive in ambiguity - things change quickly in our fast-paced startup and you’ll need to be able to keep up!
- Growth-minded - you’re eager to expand your skill set and excited to carve out your career path in a hyper-growth setting
- Desire for impact - ready to take on a lot of responsibility and work collaboratively with your team
What You'll Need
- B.S., M.S., or PhD. in Computer Science or equivalent
- 8+ years of industry experience
- Experience working with large-scale and complex data computation pipelines
- Experience in “Big Data” technologies (e.g. Apache Spark, Elasticsearch, Presto, Apache Flink, Snowflake, etc.)
- Experience improving efficiency, scalability, and stability of system resources
- Prior experience in Systems Engineering - you've built meaningful pieces of infrastructure in a cloud computing environment. Bonus if those were data processing systems or distributed systems
- Familiarity with big data processing tools
- Familiarity with a cloud based environment such as AWS
Nice To Haves
- Experience with real-time stream processing challenges
- Engage with or contribute to Big Data related open source projects
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learners - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.