DoorDash is looking for a strategic, highly-motivated, and seasoned transactional attorney and people manager to lead our Commercial Legal Team. The commercial team works across the company supporting all types of engagements with third parties—from a wide variety of merchants, to strategic partners, to vendors across the globe. As the team lead, you will drive commercial strategy and operational excellence, and support and motivate a growing team of attorneys and contract managers. You're an ideal fit for the role if you are a business-minded negotiator and problem-solver, and have a passion for leading dynamic teams in a fast-paced environment.
About the Team
DoorDash's Legal Team has built a reputation within the company for our collaborative approach to counseling. We are a diverse group of legal professionals with a shared passion for providing creative, quality service to our business partners. We go above and beyond to help accelerate and protect the business, and above all else, we value each other as teammates. We're looking for someone who can work across the legal team and the broader company. Join us!
About the Role
You will work with teams throughout the company focusing on supporting our most impactful transactions involving national restaurant merchants, new business verticals, advertising and promotions, strategic partnerships, and special projects to support the growth of our business, managing a high-performing team of commercial transactional lawyers. You will negotiate and structure complex commercial agreements, provide business-focused strategic counsel, and help our business partners accelerate the growth of the business at every turn.
This role reports to the General Counsel and sits on the Legal Leadership Team.
You're excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Lead a high-performing team of motivated commercial transaction lawyers, providing mentorship and helping them develop in their careers.
- Provide general advice, counsel, and thought partnership to company executives and other senior business leaders, not only about the legal risks and terms of a transaction but also strategic deal decisions.
- Guide your team in structuring, drafting, and negotiating complex commercial agreements, from contracts with major national brands to high-value marketing arrangements, strategic partnership agreements, and more.
- Collaborate with other legal verticals and cross-functional business stakeholders to launch new products and close sophisticated transactions that will make DoorDash's technology platform an even more powerful tool for the merchants, consumers, and delivery providers we serve.
We're excited about you because…
- You have a JD, are a member of the Bar of a U.S. state or territory, and have 15+ years legal experience in a law firm or in-house legal department (preferably a mix of both, with a significant portion being in-house).
- You have a track record of leading high-performing teams with strong followership, and those who have worked with you have strong confidence in your leadership abilities
- You exhibit a high degree of bias to action; you can own and run complex projects with different stakeholder groups and keep many balls in the air without losing sight of the priorities.
- You inspire confidence in your team and business partners with your ability to execute and in your business and legal acumen.
- You can go high and go low, partnering with strategic business development teams from term sheet conversations through deal close and designing processes that help our team to scale.
- You are a builder; you love optimizing for efficiency without sacrificing the client experience.
- You choose optimism but have contingency plans when things don’t turn out as expected.
- You are committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and have prioritized participating in DEI initiatives in past roles.
Why You'll Love Working at DoorDash
We are leaders – Leadership is not limited to our management team. It's something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
We are operators – We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions to lead our company and our industry is what we do on every project, every day.
We are learners – Everyone here is learning on the job, no matter if we've been in a role for one year or one minute. We are committed to learning and implementing what is best for our customers, merchants, and dashers.
We are one team – The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.