About the Team
At DoorDash Labs, our goal is to deploy the first commercialized autonomous vehicle and transform the landscape of last mile delivery. We’re looking to hire the very first full-time designer!
As the Labs’ first full time designer, you will have the unique opportunity to have an immediate and significant impact on how we will accomplish that goal by unifying different parts of our product and creating cohesive and intuitive designs. Your focus will be on our internal (engineering/operating) teams’ design needs, but you will also have input on how our external facing (dasher/customer) customers will interact with our product.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Explore complex, ambiguous problem spaces, working with your cross-functional team to understand the opportunity, and then chart a path forward.
- Contextualize the holistic impact of your design in the dynamic ecosystem of the three-sided marketplace.
- Provide UI/UX design expertise to simplify complex problems in multiple products in Labs, such as AV teleoperations and mobile apps for chaperone, warehouse and runner.
- Be the Design DRI and coordinate with operations, engineering, and product in Labs team.
- Lead designs end to end from concept, prototyping to high-fidelity execution.
- Use quantitative data and qualitative feedback to inform the design decisions iteratively.
- Focus on designing internal-facing tools with an occasional support on external customer-facing products.
- Establish our design system and disseminate it across different Labs products.
- Be the liaison between Labs and DoorDash Design teams.
We’re excited about you because…
- You have 5+ years of experience as a product/UX designer in a relevant industry. It’d be nice if you have robot interaction design, industrial design, or HCI background.
- You thrive in ambiguous environments and bring clarity to your teams through your mastery of the design process and storytelling.
- You balance strategy, research, interaction design, and visual design to achieve simple and intuitive solutions even for someone who’s never seen a robot before.
- You are passionate about innovating new technology at the intersection of physical and digital space.
- You have experience simplifying complex problems.
- You are self-aware, curious, and humble.
- Prior design experience in safety controller layout/interaction design or manual design would be a big plus
- You have a portfolio showcasing problem-solving skills and high design caliber; you must provide a link to your portfolio to be considered for this role.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.