About the Role
As data science and machine learning manager for Marketplace Balance, and Pay you will have the opportunity to lead a team of Economists, Machine Learning, Operations Research scientists to build the core algorithms that balance supply and demand in the marketplace and mechanism to set Pay. Your team will use advanced modeling and experimentation methods to improve Quality for DoorDash.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Lead a team to build and improve the optimization engines and predictive models that balance supply and demand in our marketplace
- Lead the team that builds models and mechanisms to improve pay algorithms across all verticals and markets
- Find new ways to drive business impact and solve complex problems through simple yet elegant models and robust experimentation frameworks
- Hire, grow and mentor a team of a talented team of Data Scientists.
- Partner closely with engineering, product, and strategy & operations leaders to improve service quality and marketing spend
- Raise the bar on operational excellence.
- You can find out more on our ML blog post here
We’re excited about you because…
- 2+ years of industry experience hiring and managing teams of data scientists/machine learning experts.
- 6+ years of industry experience developing machine learning models with business impact.
- Deep familiarity with complex systems such as Marketplaces, and domain knowledge in 2 or more of the following: Reinforcement Learning, OR (stochastic optimization, dynamic programming, MIPs), Forecasting, Reduced Form Causal Inference & Experimentation, and Mechanism Design.
- Experience shipping production ML models and optimization systems, and designing sophisticated experimentation techniques.
- M.S., or PhD. in Statistics, Computer Science, Math, Operations Research, Economics, or other quantitative fields.
- High-energy and confident — you keep the mission in mind, take ideas and help them grow using data and rigorous testing, show evidence of progress, and then double down
- You’re an owner — driven, focused, and quick to take ownership of your work
- Humble — you’re willing to jump in and you’re open to feedback
- Adaptable, resilient, and able to thrive in ambiguity — things change quickly in our fast-paced startup and you’ll need to be able to keep up!
- Growth-minded — you’re eager to expand your skill set and excited to carve out your career path in a hyper-growth setting
- Desire for impact — ready to take on a lot of responsibility and work collaboratively with your team
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.