About the Team
Data is at the core of DoorDash success. The Data Engineering team builds data solutions across a wide range of use cases including operational reporting, product analytics, marketing optimization and financial controls. By implementing pipelines, data structures, and data warehouse architectures; this team serves as the foundation for decision-making at DoorDash.
About the Role
DoorDash is looking for a Director of Data Engineering to guide the development of large-scale, best in class data products and foundations. Your teams (managers and senior IC’s) will work across multiple business departments and be responsible for stewarding data from end-to-end. You will be partnering with Data Platform, ML and Product pillars to create a bold vision and roadmap to unleash the value of data across the DoorDash ecosystem.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Work with tech leaders to design/build right architectural patterns, ETL frameworks and data governance practices to set strategic direction for data engineering at Doordash.
- Work with upstream data producers, product managers, business stakeholders and vertical data engineering teams to collect right data and build foundational data models.
- Own vision for BI tools to build self service reporting infrastructure at DoorDash.
- Own Data reliability workstream to improve data quality and reliability of data pipelines and data products.
- Work with the Data Infrastructure team to build tools to improve developer productivity and reliability of data pipelines.
- Establish best practices to improve data architecture, development process and data reliability.
- Conduct yearly and quarterly planning to establish long term and short term goals for horizontal data teams.
- Hire top talent to grow and nurture horizontal data engineering teams.
We’re excited about you because…
- 10+ years experience working in data engineering, business intelligence and related data functions.
- 5+ years of hands-on management experience with hiring and growing large sustainable teams, managing through senior leaders/managers.
- Exceptional communication and leadership skills, with a proven ability to operate in a fast moving environment.
- Hands-on approach to closing gaps in data foundations and technical execution, reinforcing development standards and best practices that guarantee high quality, trustworthy data.
- Strong understanding of data related security and governance/controls.
- Prior experience with Data Warehouse or Data Lake solutions similar to Snowflake/Redshift, Cloud environments similar to AWS/GCP, Big Data solutions similar to Hadoop/Spark, Realtime Streaming solutions similar to Kafka/Flink.
- Knowledge of advanced visualization tools such as Tableau, Superset and Looker.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.