About the Team
At DoorDash we’re building the industry’s most scalable and reliable delivery network to support our three-sided marketplace of consumers, merchants, and dashers. TPMs on our Engineering teams provide fundamental support to the underlying technology services as well as the engineers building these services. It’s no simple task, but it wouldn’t be interesting if it was!
About the Role
Our team is looking for a Technical Program Manager for our Data Team to drive critical initiatives related to Data Platform and Data Engineering Teams. The Data Platform team enables all of DoorDash to collect, compute and gather timely, data-driven insights by providing a reliable, flexible and high quality Data Platform. The Data Engineering team partners with engineering organizations and stakeholders from finance, accounting and product teams to understand the data needs of the business and produce pipelines, data marts and other data solutions that enable better product and growth decision-making. Programs in this space are typically related to
Data Infrastructure, Machine Learning Platform, Real-time Streaming Platform, Feature Flags and Rollouts, Experimentation (A/B tests and Analytics), Metrics Repositories, Data Compliance, and Data Governance, Data Quality, Data modeling and BI. These will require a strong technical understanding, general cross organization coordination/facilitation, stakeholder management, and ownership of results.
You will report into the centralized Technical Program Management team in Engineering. Once our offices reopen, we expect this role to be 100% remote, or hybrid for employees who want to work in a DoorDash office location.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Own Data Programs - Partner closely with the Directors of Data Engineering and Data Platform and key engineering and product leaders to establish the vision, strategy, technical direction and success metrics for the data platform and key engineering and product leaders to establish the vision, strategy, technical direction and success metrics for Infrastructure. Focus areas for your programs will include quality, reliability, security, compliance, planning, vendor and cost management, capacity planning, adoptions, and migrations.
- Planning & Execution Optimization - Drive optimizations related to planning Engineering objectives and key results, develop frameworks for team execution/tracking and provide visibility to resource allocation and prioritization.
- Technical - Develop a full understanding of our technical stack and interdependencies, allowing you to contribute to designs and ensure they are scalable, reliable, and efficient.
- Stakeholder Management - Manage expectations for all stakeholders from leadership to individual teams, possess strong problem solving and negotiation skills, and earn trust of partners and teams.
- Navigating the Organization - Understand engineers and enjoy working with them, building trust by developing strong technical domain knowledge that adds value beyond project management.
- Communications - Manage timely and succinct communications to leadership and across teams to ensure accountability and timeline management.
- Process - Develop processes to ensure teamwork is streamlined to manage complexity and optimized velocity. You are thoughtful about how and when to implement processes with a light touch and clear understanding of success within DoorDash’s culture.
- Time Management - Balance urgency and priority while moving the needle on multiple initiatives.
We’re excited about you because…
- You are highly organized and care about the details.
- You celebrate your successes, but also admit your missteps and learn from feedback -- we’re all human.
- You are curious, growth-minded, and eager to expand your skill set. You have a passion for DATA & building scalable systems, enabling product efficiency, and moving teams forward.
- You understand both the big picture and the details.
- You are a self starter and can demonstrate adaptability, resilience, and ability to thrive in ambiguity -- things change quickly!
- You lead and influence teams to make the right trade offs.
- You are pragmatic in your approach and focus on progress, not perfection.
- Bachelor’s Degree
- 5+ years recent experience as a Technical Program Manager or a similar role at a technology company.
- Experience in large-scale distributed systems. You can speak to system architecture, scalability and reliability decisions, and design trade offs.
- Love for Data and taking chaos and turning it into something actionable.
- Good understanding of ETL processing, Data Warehousing, familiarity with BI Visualization tools.
- Excellent written & verbal communication skills with the ability to communicate with confidence, clarity, and focus. Able to convey concepts and considerations to non-experts and experts alike.
- Strong leadership skills with the ability to collaborate and build relationships across organizations, bridge gaps between teams, and successfully influence without authority.
- Strong sense of ownership, urgency, and drive. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and dive into the details to understand and drive your programs.
- Experience working with Data platform and Data engineering teams implementing data solutions and driving adoption of these technologies across product and platform engineering teams.
- Project planning and execution skills that include reviewing technical design documents, estimating, and scheduling.
- Experience with broad adoption efforts.
- Excellent attention to detail and understanding of impact when changes occur to scope or timeline.
- Experience working in a startup environment desired.
- Experience in Computer Science, Software Engineering or other related disciplines desired.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.