About the Team
On the Design Infrastructure team, we're designers and engineers who live at the intersection of design and engineering to ensure we're building a customer-centered product and team. Today, we build the design system and design tools for DoorDash across all of our platforms, and we're looking to build a new team focused on Accessibility. This team will help support every product that we build for our Customers, Dashers, and Merchant through providing frameworks/libraries/automation that our engineers use to increase accessibility, ensure that our Design System and guidance pushes our accessibility forward, and that we build impactful accessibility related features in our products.
About the Role
We're looking for an Accessibility Engineer to serve as a Tech Lead for all of our accessibility efforts—to help create the infrastructure and product changes necessary to create accessible, inclusive products here. You'll lead the team defining and building the tools, guidance, and product changes related to great accessibility, and you'll be an advocate of design/technical craftsmanship across our design and engineering organizations that enables us to build for everyone. You’ll work closely with an engineering manager to shape the future of this team.
You will report to the Head of Accessibility in our Design Infrastructure team in our Product Design organization. Once our offices reopen, we expect this role to be hybrid with some time in-office and some time remote.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will be working on…
- Working Hands-On to Drive Execution - As a technical leader at DoorDash, we aim to hire folks that are excited and driven to contribute at the lowest level of detail. And especially in the accessibility space, we’re looking for technical, detail oriented people that wouldn’t shy away from jumping in to be hands on working on the code that makes our systems tick. You’ll be working to further accessibility across platforms, and helping build accessibility for at least one if not more than one platform (across iOS, Android, Web).
- Accessibility Strategy & Technical Architecture - You'll contribute to the strategy of our future accessibility work and own the technical architecture for all that it entails. That includes the infrastructural work we’re going to take on with testing automation and accessibility libraries and the product features the team will work on focused on accessibility.
- Team Mentorship – You'll mentor the other accessibility on your team, providing both project feedback and architectural guidance, and work to scale your domain knowledge in accessibility and engineering to others.
- Cross-Team Leadership – You'll work with your peers in Design Systems, Engineering, Product Design, Product Management, User Research, and more to drive forward accessibility — working closely with them over time on new infrastructure and products.
- Scaling Accessibility Knowledge - - You'll work with your team and the broader engineering organization to oversee and act as an advocate of user-centered thinking and accessibility throughout our products—aiming to guide, influence, and improve future inclusiveness and accessibility through systems. You’ll also uphold technical craft through the work your team does to ensure a robust, thoughtful infrastructure for our engineering org to build accessible products on top of.
- Collaboration with Design Systems- You'll work together with a design systems design and engineering counterparts to ensure that there's alignment and quality between the work happening in accessibility and in their spaces.
We’re excited about you because…
- You've built impactful accessibility related infrastructure or products before, or have deep experience making products accessible.
- You have a vision for Accessibility, and inclusive engineering thinking. You stretch the boundaries of what Accessibility can be at a company that cares and believes in the mission of accessibility and open-ness.
- You have a high bar for craft and quality—you care about the details and know how to mentor the team and others to exceed that bar. Your technical skills are strong, and you lead from the front.
- You bridge the gap between engineering, product design, design systems by building relationships throughout the company and earning the trust of team members.
- You communicate well with partners at both the peer and leadership levels in an open, direct, and clear way.
- You engage your teammates and proactively initiate new programs.
- You're comfortable working within complex product ecosystems, and ensuring quality there through systems and strategic product work.
- You're enthusiastic about collaboration and team-building, helping contribute and drive hiring with your manager.
- You have 8+ years of engineering experience and 2+ years of experience leading successful accessibility-focused engineering teams as an individual contributor.
- You have experience mentoring and leading outstanding engineers or design technologists.
- You have experience building and shipping accessibility-related work across iOS, Android or Web platforms.
- You have worked on large-scale projects across multiple teams.
- You excel at technical communication, making complex concepts simple and easy to understand.
- You value high-quality well crafted systems, from both a design and technical perspective, and you care about the details.
- You are experienced at working with design and product engineering counterparts.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.