About the Team
DoorDash is a data driven organization and relies on timely, accurate and reliable data to drive many business and product decisions. The Core Data Platform owns all the infrastructure necessary to run an operationally efficient analytical data stack. This will include data ingestion (batch and real time), data compute & transformation, data storage (warehouse, data lake, OLAP etc.), querying infrastructure as well as data compliance, quality and governance.
About the Role
DoorDash is looking for a Director of Core Data Platform, to guide the development of internet-scale data infrastructure and solutions. This role will require you to lead, guide and mentor highly technical areas related to big data architecture to empower the greater community of data engineers, data scientists, ML engineers and DoorDash partners. Once our offices reopen, we expect this role to be mostly remote with some expectations of quarterly participation in various planning and strategy related activities at our San Francisco office or other satellite offices.
You’re excited about this opportunity because…
- You are a people leader. You thrive in hiring, building, growing and nurturing impactful business focused data teams.
- You think in terms of building data products and not systems. You excel at driving the engineering vision, strategy, and execution for an organization consisting of multiple teams and sub teams.
- You are a technology leader. You excel at mentoring and guiding a fast growing organization in setting the right architectural patterns, handling build vs buy decisions, working with various vendors in the data solutions space, making judicious investments in the right areas anticipating what the company needs a few years down the road.
- You think of quick wins while planning for long term strategy and engineering excellence. You are excited about breaking down large systems into manageable, sustainable components that can be iterated on.
- You strive for continuous improvement of data architecture and development process.
- You are excited about cross collaboration with stakeholders, external partners and peer data leaders.
- You are a planner and excel in software project execution. You know the tools to plan for short term and long term team and stakeholder success.
- You love rolling up your sleeves to get down to the lowest level of detail.
- You ensure reliability and quality in everything your team does.
We’re excited about you because…
- 10+ years of experience working in data platform engineering, large scale distributed systems and related data functions.
- 5+ years of hands-on management experience with, hiring and growing teams from 0 to 1, managing through senior leaders/managers as well as building large sustainable teams.
- Exceptional communication and leadership skills, with a proven ability to operate in a fast moving environment.
- Experience of performance management, coaching, mentoring and growing teams.
- Hands-on approach to closing gaps in data infrastructure and technical execution,familiar with SQL, data modeling and at least one mainstream programming language such as Java, Scala, Python or similar.
- Prior experience with Data Warehouse or Data Lake solutions similar to Snowflake/Redshift, Cloud environments similar to AWS/GCP, Big Data solutions similar to Hadoop/Spark/EMR, Lambda/Kappa architectures, Realtime Streaming solutions similar to Kafka/Flink.
- Prior experience with large scale batch/real time ETL orchestration.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
Pursuant to the Colorado Fair Pay Act, the base salary range in Colorado for this position is $216,000 - $324,000, plus opportunities for equity and commission. Compensation in other geographies may vary.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.