About the Team
DoorDash is hiring a Director, Commercial Legal to join our legal team at a very exciting time for our growing business. You will have wide-ranging responsibilities with ownership of projects that improve a fast-growing, dynamic business.
About the Role
You will work with teams throughout the company focusing on supporting our most impactful marketing, strategic partnerships, and enterprise sales agreements to support the growth of our business. You will manage a team supporting our SMB Merchant teams and fast-growing Ads & Promos business. You will draft and negotiate complex commercial agreements, provide business-focused strategic counsel, and help clients at every turn. This role reports to the Associate General Counsel, Head of Commercial and Legal Operations.
The DoorDash legal team has built a reputation within the company for a supportive approach to our style of counsel. We are team players, generous to our colleagues, and we value looking for ways to grow and excel together. Join us!
You're excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Draft and negotiate complex commercial agreements, from contracts with major national restaurant brands, high-value marketing arrangements, strategic partnership agreements, to terms that ensure the launch of new products and partnerships.
- Take on high-impact projects in a fast-speed environment.
- Improve contract templates and legal processes. As we grow, you'll improve existing tools and design new processes that help the business to scale.
- Counsel our teams that are launching new products and programs to ensure legal compliance and make DoorDash's technology platform an even more powerful tool for the merchants, consumers, and delivery providers we serve.
- Have an opportunity to manage a team.
We're excited about you because…
- You exhibit a high degree of bias to action; you can own and run complex projects with different stakeholder groups and keep many balls in the air without losing sight of the priorities.
- You are committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and have prioritized participating in DEI initiatives in past roles.
- You are a builder; you love optimizing for efficiency without sacrificing the client experience.
- Your business partners have a high degree of confidence in your ability to execute and in your business and legal acumen.
- You can go high and go low, partnering with strategic business development teams from term sheet conversations through deal close and designing processes that help our team to scale.
- You have had a track record of leading high-performing teams with strong followership, or those who have worked with you have strong confidence in your ability to do so.
- You see the glass as half full.
- You have experience with high-profile marketing/sponsorship/advertising agreements.
- You have a JD and are admitted to a United States bar.
- You have 10+ years legal experience in a law firm or in-house legal department.
- You have at least 4+ years of in-house experience.
Why You'll Love Working at DoorDash
We are leaders – Leadership is not limited to our management team. It's something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
We are operators – We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions to lead our company and our industry is what we do on every project, every day.
We are learners – Everyone here is learning on the job, no matter if we've been in a role for one year or one minute. We are committed to learning and implementing what is best for our customers, merchants, and dashers.
We are one team – The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods. DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees' happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We're committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That's why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on "protected categories," we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.