DoorDash is hiring an exceptional business-forward product and regulatory lawyer to support our rapidly growing Grocery and Convenience business verticals. As a member of our lean and nimble New Business Verticals Legal Team, you will have a wide range of responsibilities and will own projects that make an immediate impact. Your work will primarily focus on supporting our Product and Strategy & Operations Teams responsible for Grocery and Convenience globally to help accelerate expansion of the business. You may also support other new business verticals such as our Chowbotics salad robots. You’ll provide guidance across a wide range of legal issues domestically and internationally, including, but not limited to, product, regulatory, marketing, consumer protection, and privacy, to help internal clients problem-solve at every turn. Your work will be fast paced, high impact, and a heck of a lot of fun!
Our Legal Team has built a reputation within the company for our supportive approach to counseling, always with a bias for action. We’re a group of seasoned business-forward lawyers, who work collaboratively, have a healthy sense of humor, are humble, and are kind to one another and our clients. Join us!
What You'll Do
- Work with business partners to effectively manage legal risks related to product, engineering, and operational efforts.
- Advise on strategies to launch new and expand the geographic footprint of existing products, while incorporating legal guidance for navigating evolving and sometimes murky regulatory requirements.
- Independently develop practical guidance by synthesizing input from outside counsel, your own research, and feedback from internal stakeholders.
- Work closely with other members of the legal team - across corporate, commercial, litigation, and employment - to ensure your business partners receive holistic and effective legal guidance across disciplines.
- Serve as cross-functional connective tissue and help gain consensus across the non-legal teams you work with.
- Advise teams throughout the company on how legal regulatory matters impact our operations across the U.S. and foreign jurisdictions.
- Build playbooks to help scale our advice as a legal team.
- 5-7+ years of experience practicing law at a top-tier firm, and/or advising product and operations teams in-house.
- JD; admitted to any state bar.
- You are committed to fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment and have prioritized participating in DEI initiatives in past roles.
- You are able to work autonomously, exercise sound judgment, and balance legal risks with business objectives in a fast-paced environment.
- Self-starter; intrinsically motivated but also a good teammate.
- A philosophy that no task is too big or small and an interest in learning and growth.
- You are a big picture thinker and are able to effectively prioritize projects and workflow based on relative impact to the business.
- You are comfortable with uncertainty and ambiguity.
- You have interests/passions outside of work that are important to you.
Bonus Points for Experience:
- As an in-house lawyer, particularly in the tech industry, with exposure to e-commerce, the gig economy, and/or hardware development.
- Advising on policy and legislation.
- Advising international clients on product launches and country launches and managing international outside counsel.
- At an early-stage startup or startup in a major growth phase.
- Counseling on hardware products.
- Advising on regulatory matters.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.