About the Role
We're looking for a Design Technologist to develop the tools, processes, and prototypes that help design and engineering to work efficiently & consistently to build high-quality products.
Design Technologists are the nexus of design and development. They push the boundaries of user interface design, design systems, and prototyping at DoorDash. By being the bridge between Design and Engineering, our Design Techs help create design decisions and support them with code. This is a unique opportunity to help shape a fast-growing, global consumer brand.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Build and maintain our component and styles library, focused on our frontend experiences on the Web. Essentially, you will build the design library of reusable components for DoorDash, and much, much more.
- Work with designers to establish our interaction patterns and visual language, and design how it gets propagated through tooling for Design and Engineering.
- Work with other Web/front-end engineers to use our component and styles library; work with each team to infuse Design craft and quality into their work & processes.
- Own, augment, and build the software our designers use—we're not afraid to build new tools or explore the newest technologies to make our work better and more collaborative.
- Write documentation and guidance on how and why components, styles, and patterns are applied in code and design.
- As a designer, you'll engineer prototypes using our Design System and your engineering skill-set to help our product designers solve product design problems.
- You'll articulate design decisions across design to engineering and vice versa.
We’re excited about you because…
- You care about setting up the team for success—helping shape the design system to help other designers and engineers do their best work is 80% of this job.
- You are an engineer that values and practices good design, or has been a designer in the past. You can contribute to both designs and engineering; using both of those skills in one role excites you.
- You think in systems; you can see how all the parts fit together, and how a small change can propagate throughout.
- Design is special to you; while other engineers love to be close to the metal, you want to be as close to the pixel as possible. Accessibility, animations, color contrasts/palettes are something you advocate for often, and love to write.
- You can anticipate how aspects of the system will be used by designers and engineers, and design component APIs for the best default user and developer experience.
- You care about how you can make the system evolve over time—you make design and engineering decisions that make company-wide changes easy.
- You have a high bar and an eye for good design—you care about the details, love working with designs and designers, and are unafraid to contribute constructive, thoughtful feedback on designs.
- Will contribute high-quality, production ready code for our React codebase for our web-focused library.
- Deep knowledge of building for the web—you know Flexbox, all the CSS tricks, CSS Grid, how to build performant animations, and how to build reusable components with ease.
- API and library design experience—you know how to build software that other software engineers can use. You can make the right way to use the design system and the easy way to use it.
- Some experience with Sketch, Figma, Principle, Flinto (and other Design tools).
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.