DoorDash is hiring an exceptional and experienced Senior Privacy Counsel to join our team. You will partner closely with our product, engineering, and business teams to build a best-in-class privacy program, including counseling on new products and services to ensure compliance with privacy laws and DoorDash policies. This will be a highly visible and impactful role that will partner closely with cross-functional teams across the organization to enhance the company’s privacy program.
About the Role
As Senior Privacy Counsel, you’ll have an opportunity to work closely with teams across our business on a wide-range of privacy compliance matters. You will help enhance the company’s overall privacy program to ensure the company complies with applicable data privacy laws. This position will also advise teams on various new product and feature launches. This role will require you to become an expert in domestic and international privacy laws that impact our products and business operations. And as a member of the legal team at a dynamic and fast-growing company, you’ll have ample opportunity to work on a variety of challenging privacy issues while partnering with teams across the company.
We’re looking for someone with a strong work ethic along with excellent analytical and communication skills. The ideal candidate will be someone who is creative and thinks outside-the-box, is a self-starter who takes ownership over initiatives, and is hands-on taking into consideration the lowest level of detail.
About the Team
DoorDash’s Legal Team has built a reputation within the company for our highly collaborative and supportive approach to counseling, always with a bias for action. We are a diverse group of lawyers with a shared passion for providing creative and best-in-class service to our business partners. We go above and beyond to help accelerate and protect the business, and above all else, we value and respect each other as teammates. We’re looking for a team builder who can successfully work across the legal team, as well as the broader company. Join us!
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Develop and maintain a privacy framework that ensures compliance with applicable domestic and international privacy laws along with best practices
- Partner closely with cross-functional teams to ensure that privacy is built into the design of new products, features, and business initiatives
- Partner with the commercial team to ensure appropriate data protection provisions are incorporated into vendor, partner, and merchant agreements
- Coordinate with the litigation team on responding to regulatory and litigation matters
- Provide privacy advice to product and engineering throughout the development lifecycle to minimize legal risks, respect consumer privacy, and advance business goals
- Synthesize input from outside counsel, your own research, and feedback from internal stakeholders to provide practical guidance applicable to the teams you advise
- Maintain up-to-date internal and external privacy policies
We’re excited about you because…
- You’re able to work autonomously while exercising sound judgment in a fast-paced environment.
- You are technically fluent.
- You have a proven ability to balance legal risk and business objectives.
- You have a positive attitude and high EQ. No job is too big or too small!
- J.D. required, admitted to any state bar.
- 8+ years legal experience in a law firm and/or in-house legal department, with a focus on privacy and data protection issues.
- Familiarity with global privacy frameworks and advising on privacy issues.
- Ability to lead, organize, prioritize, and manage projects effectively.
- CIPP preferred.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly, learn, and reiterate in order to make impactful decisions that display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to merchant partners to consumers. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance, and any other state or local hiring regulations, we will consider for employment any qualified applicant, including those with arrest and conviction records, in a manner consistent with the applicable regulation.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.