About the Role
DoorDash is looking for a Director of Engineering with strong product sense and machine learning / optimization experience to lead our Logistics team in San Francisco. In this role, you will be responsible for the algorithms and systems that intelligently match dashers to deliveries in real-time, determine optimal pricing for a given task, balance supply with demand in our three-sided marketplace of Dashers, Consumers and Merchants, and more. You’ll lead a team of engineers across the stack (backend, mobile, web, machine learning, operations research) to design the intelligent, real-time systems that comprise the “brain” at the center of our fulfillment engine -- optimizing decisions to guide millions of Dashers and deploy tens of millions of dollars, all while evolving and scaling the underlying infrastructure handling millions of requests per minute.
You’re excited about this opportunity because you will…
- Drive the engineering vision, strategy, and execution for an organization of 50+ engineers.
- Partner with Business, Product, and other Engineering teams to define and evolve the roadmap.
- Scale the team by developing leaders internally and attracting world-class talent
We’re excited about you because…
- 6+ years of experience in people management
- Experience navigating ambiguous business problems and tackling high scale technical challenges
- Experience leading full-stack engineering across machine learning, backend, and mobile.
- Growth-minded - you’re eager to expand your skill set in a hyper-growth setting
- Desire for impact - you sign up for and drive high business impact
- You’re an owner - driven, focused, and quick to take ownership of your work
- Strong hands-on technical leader and strong product sense
- Humble - you’re willing to get into the details and you’re open to feedback
- Able to lead full-stack engineering teams - backend, mobile, ML, operations research, etc.
Why You’ll Love Working at DoorDash
- We are leaders - Leadership is not limited to our management team. It’s something everyone at DoorDash embraces and embodies.
- We are doers - We believe the only way to predict the future is to build it. Creating solutions that will lead our company and our industry is what we do -- on every project, every day.
- We are learners - We’re not afraid to dig in and uncover the truth, even if it’s scary or inconvenient. Everyone here is continually learning on the job, no matter if we’ve been in a role for one year or one minute.
- We are customer obsessed - Our mission is to grow and empower local economies. We are committed to our customers, merchants, and dashers and believe in connecting people with possibility.
- We are all DoorDash - The magic of DoorDash is our people, together making our inspiring goals attainable and driving us to greater heights.
- We offer great compensation packages and comprehensive health benefits.
At DoorDash, our mission to empower local economies shapes how our team members move quickly and always learn and reiterate to support merchants, Dashers and the communities we serve. We are a technology and logistics company that started with door-to-door delivery, and we are looking for team members who can help us go from a company that is known for delivering food to a company that people turn to for any and all goods. Read more on the DoorDash website, the DoorDash blog, the DoorDash Engineering blog, and the DoorDash Careers page.
DoorDash is growing rapidly and changing constantly, which gives our team members the opportunity to share their unique perspectives, solve new challenges, and own their careers. Our leaders seek the truth and welcome big, hairy, audacious questions. We are grounded in our company values, and we make intentional decisions that are both logical and display empathy for our range of users—from Dashers to Merchants to Customers.
We're committed to supporting employees’ happiness, healthiness, and overall well-being by providing comprehensive benefits and perks including premium healthcare, wellness expense reimbursement, paid parental leave and more.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
We’re committed to growing and empowering a more inclusive community within our company, industry, and cities. That’s why we hire and cultivate diverse teams of people from all backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives. We believe that true innovation happens when everyone has room at the table and the tools, resources, and opportunity to excel.
Statement of Non-Discrimination: In keeping with our beliefs and goals, no employee or applicant will face discrimination or harassment based on: race, color, ancestry, national origin, religion, age, gender, marital/domestic partner status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability status, or veteran status. Above and beyond discrimination and harassment based on “protected categories,” we also strive to prevent other subtler forms of inappropriate behavior (i.e., stereotyping) from ever gaining a foothold in our office. Whether blatant or hidden, barriers to success have no place at DoorDash. We value a diverse workforce – people who identify as women, non-binary or gender non-conforming, LGBTQIA+, American Indian or Native Alaskan, Black or African American, Hispanic or Latinx, Native Hawaiian or Other Pacific Islander, differently-abled, caretakers and parents, and veterans are strongly encouraged to apply. Thank you to the Level Playing Field Institute for this statement of non-discrimination.
If you need any accommodations, please inform your recruiting contact upon initial connection.